clients

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by jsfrk, Aug 17, 2004.

1. jsfrk

jsfrk LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

Would you say that you all keep the same clients year after year? Like if I sign up 30 clients for the season, will I have those same 30 the following year. Do they pretty much stick with your business? I wouldn't think you would lose them if you building a good relationship.

2. Been in this business for over 30 years of which I've been running my own company for over 22 years. A lot of clients got older watching me get older.

We get to cut grass all year in my area, so yes we do have retention. I still do some clients that my dad first got back in '64. Problem I have is they are all starting to drop dead.

It's harder for you guys that only get to work part of the year, which is the reason a lot of guys provide other services during the down time. That's how many retain clients over the years. Of course, you have to be the best.(at least your current clients have to think that.)

So the short of it, you can have the same clients year after year, but there's some work(keeping in touch) during the off period. Out of 30 clients, if you keep 25 of them the following year, I think your doing your job. At least, that would be my retention goal.

3. Team Gopher

Team Gopher LawnSite Platinum Member
    from -

Hi jsfrk,

Here is a great quote on customer retention by brucec32 from this post.

"That also brings up a very important 2nd point of the importance of CUSTOMER RETENTION. If you have to replace 30% of your customers each year you'll have a hard time growing. The only way you can afford to wait and sign up customers in the summer (and other times of year besides spring) is to have enough customers from last season left over. And in that context, I found that charging a little less than the maximum I could squeeze out of people did wonders. People always thought they were getting a good value, so I never lost customers who went off hunting for a lower price. In the long run, I think it saved me enough time and hassle replacing them (as well as missed cut opportunities) to more than pay for the discount. "