Clip or Gopher?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by CutInEdge Lawn Care, Feb 7, 2006.

1. CutInEdge Lawn Care

CutInEdge Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

Ok, Ok, I know this is probably going to get me flamed but would like to know who is using either of these two software programs (Clip or Gopher) and their input on the daily use of said software. I have narrowed it down to these two from a selection of 5. Price ranges from $1599 to $300. I would like any and all info from Envy, Turflord, BG, or any that have serious(productive) input.

I am currently servicing 111 accounts from full serv to metb with a palm pilot and a self-created Microsoft Access program.

2. Kickin Your Grass

Kickin Your Grass LawnSite Senior Member

I use gopher and love it.

3. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

What other 3 programs did you try?

4. jondcoleman

jondcoleman LawnSite Member

From what I have read and heard Gopher is an ok program. It's simplicity is attractive to many people but it lacks many of the features that will help you be more profitable. For me, one of the most important features of CLIP software is recording times for all jobs. Gopher does not do this and therefore does not do job costing. How will you ever know which jobs are profitable and which you are just wasting your time on. CLIP allows you to see how many dollars per hour you are making on each individual job.

Another feature I really like in CLIP is its link with Microsoft Word and Excel. This is extremely powerful in creating Mail Merges and Reports in Excel that can be modified how you want it.

Also, routing in Gopher needs to be done everyday whereas CLIP you can set the routing sequence numbers which will apply everyday. Scheduling is static in Gopher as far as I know, which means you will probably need you to mess around with the schedule quite a bit if it rains.

Basically, Gopher is a good quick fix but if you are looking to grow at all and be profitable I think CLIP will serve you best. I use it everyday and Love it.

5. CutInEdge Lawn Care

Thanks JonD. One other program worth mentioning is Service CEO. Any others that one would consider. I am thinking of either Service CEO or Clip.
    My Research has lasted about 2 months and need to now get the ball rolling on this. Thanks for all input and future input. Good Luck!!!

6. cgland

cgland LawnSite Bronze Member

Try Qxpress it's better than Clip IMO.

Chris

7. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

To run Qxpress you will need to use Quickbooks Pro. If you are not running Quickbooks Pro, you might check out Lawn Monkey (this is what I have personally used the last 3 years). It's about half the price of Clip and is a very powerful program. It has the ability to merge mail, create many various reports and has a template designer if you want to alter invoices and route sheets. Once the routes have been entered it is very simple to skip or delay client's service days. Both are worth checking out.

8. CutInEdge Lawn Care

Yes to all the software. They all have a place in the market for userability. However, I am more leaning towards the software that can cost a job and average the profit/yr. I have programmed my own, but everytime I add features I break the code somewhere else trying to link certain things. Looking for the done in one package and spend my hours doing more productive things like playing with the kids or wife (smile) BTW, I have a computer science degree and my wife has a masters in computer engineering so the software scares are not an issue. Just bought a new Gateway MX3215 Notebook for the truck to slowly get away from the Palm One.

9. CutInEdge Lawn Care

P.S. I am also using Quicken Deluxe 2000

10. CutInEdge Lawn Care

Hey Walker-Talker where in the Mid-West are you located. I grew up in the wichita area. Went to FHSU and KU. Lived in Lawrence for aprox 8 yrs.