1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Clip, Real Green, Etc.

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by way to grow, May 25, 2005.

1. way to grow

way to grow LawnSite Member

Within the next week or so we are going to decide on a new software to help us out in the office. Right now I run everything with quickbooks and mappoint. My guys also take detailed log sheets at each stop. I'm doing a lot of research to find the best product for us. I am primarily a fertilizing company with about 1300 active customers (and growing) that we service 6 times a year. I don't want to spend a bundle of money to be dissappointed. Saving time and delivering stellar service are my biggest concerns. Is there other softwares that I am overlooking? What is your experience with these programs and companies?

Thank you in advance for your help.
  2. Q-xpress integrates with quickbooks, and is very expensive. I ultimately rejected it in favor of a home built application.
  3. MIDWEST25

MIDWEST25 LawnSite Member

real green is expensive but worth it.I have 3500 customers and love it
  4. GreenUtah

GreenUtah LawnSite Senior Member
    from SLC, UT

we used clip to manage over 10k residential sprays & all the commercial full maintenance accounts. Had it's quirks, but worked well enough at keeping things on a timely schedule and getting the billings out. Would have liked to see a little friendlier way of building lists for marketing purposes there and wasn't in love with the hard push to always keep an annual agreement in place to service it. Also, if you market under several names, you will have to do your billing with another program, they decided, for whatever reason, that only your one name and address can appear on every invoice and proposal and will charge you to change it, but still only can have one, buried somewhere in the program code. Not too convenient when you buy out another biz and are making the transitions. Other than that....lol
  5. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

I'm glad this post is up. I would like to know about routing. Do these programs figure out the logistics for you? For instance, if you add a customer who say is 3 miles out of the way...and you have a route from one customer to another that say is 8 miles apart...Do these programs fit the home 3 miles out of the way onto THAT days scheduling? (to save overall time). Also, do any of these keep up with current traffic situations like construction zones and detours? Thanks for any info.
  6. way to grow

Real Green is supposed to do that. The Clip people are sending me some information with their demo. I think their's is supposed to do it as well. Both programs use Mappoint for finding the best route and giving directions. I'd like to find out more about these systems, and their add-on capabilities, like handhelds for the field that upload notes and time spent to the main computer, or gps systems to track trucks and time spent at each property etc. Any more advice would be greatly appreciated. I have been having major growing pains lately so I figure the best way to avoid any more growing pains in the future is to use a system that the bigger companies use. Then we can grow into it.
  7. arkylady

arkylady LawnSite Member

The only one I'm familiar with is Real Green, so I have no base of comparison.

I work for Scott's and they chose Real Green's Lawn Assistant III for their operations. I've been using it for about 6 months now and find it easy to work with, especially now that I'm getting more knowledgable with it. It's packed with features, many of which we don't even utilize yet, but hope to next year. It is expensive, but they have decent support. For support you call them, leave a message and a tech calls you back. Usually takes an hour or so for a call back. Not perfect, but workable.

I wasn't involved in the setting up of it, so I can't say for sure, but with all the options available my guess is setting it up would be quite a task. This is probably true with most software you could get though.

We don't currently have the Mapping Assistant add-on, but we do have Map Point. What I do is export my routes from within Lawn Assistant to an excel file, then import the excel file into Map Point. It works well, but the Mapping Assistant is supposed to streamline the process. It isn't that bad without Mapping Assistant though so far as I can tell, but maybe I just don't know what I'm missing :D

For a start-up company with little money, it may be more appealing to go with something cheaper. However, for a well established company such as yours, it would be money well spent in my opinion.
  8. way to grow

Do all of the Scotts franchises run Real Green's Lawn Assistant?
  9. arkylady

arkylady LawnSite Member

Just a guess, but I'm pretty sure they do. I would assume that as a franchise they could probably choose to use whichever software they wanted, but just wouldn't get support from corporate for any other software.
  10. Lawn Care Louie

Lawn Care Louie LawnSite Member

All Scotts franchises use Lawn Assistant. So do the franchises of Spring Green, Tru Green, Naturalawn and Nutrilawn.