Clipper elite keeps throwing belt.

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by tryingtomakeit, Oct 3, 2007.

1. tryingtomakeit

tryingtomakeit LawnSite Member

I've got a customer who wants me to fix his clipper elite mower. It's a 7224.
    The problem is that it throws the drive belt not three minutes after reinstalling it. A new belt didn't help. It's a wierd setup, It almost looks as if it needs a special belt.

I contacted the company that makes it, but they never contacted me back. My customer keeps bugging me about it though. Any suggestions from someone familiar with these units?

2. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Doesn't even come up when googled, but I would take a good long look at that machine and see what you can do, and I mean make it a god's honest effort you and another guy maybe, try the best you can but now I probably shouldn't say this but unless this is one of your regular accounts then the next time this customer calls getting on your case about it you tell that fool he can come get his rare vintage machine out of your shop just as well.

Because it's just one of them things, if this is some guy you've never seen before then he don't give a rat, or another option is to get it fixed at all costs but before you do anything let that guy know it's going to cost so much it might be cheaper to buy a new mower.

Ok ok, lets dig into it:
    Pictures might help, what is this, a 21", a rider, a commercial unit, or what?
    If it's a rider what other brand does it resemble, is it like the snappers or more like the craftsman's, I need something more than what I can't figure out from mere words, sorry.
    No I don't know about those units but isn't that usually a sign some bearing or some other moving part in the pulley system is worn?
    Maybe a bent crankshaft or some other bent shaft or worn spline bearings (these are what some shafts go through a case with) or what have you could do it.

Other than that, what can you do?

3. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

i'm with top. a pulley has to be out of alignment. bent, bad bearing, ect.

4. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

The mower has been out for about 10 years or so. its an out-front mower. i think one of the models(they have two now) you can remove the fuel tanks(i could be wrong).

Push it out of your shop and tell them to sell it.

5. tryingtomakeit

http://www.clipperelite.com/72mower.html

I wish it were that easy. He is my best customer. None of the pullies wobble when running. The bearings don't feel like they're bad.

There is a main shaft running parallel to the tractor, with two pullies, one of which is an idler, the other attached to the shaft. The belt loops under both pullies up to a hydralic pump on either side. It's the goofiest setup I've ever seen. The belt flips sideways and jumps track every time. it almost looks like it needs an octagonal or hexagonal belt, as it twists direction on both sides of the main shaft.

6. John Gamba

from ct

Hows the tension

7. tryingtomakeit

Between my customer and me? Hehe...

The belt throws whether its tight as a drum or loose as a goose. I tried adjusting the pullies back and forth. I haven't touched it for two months. He hasn't said anything, but I know he wants it.

8. John Gamba

from ct

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: is there a keeper missing

9. tryingtomakeit

I don't see any attachment points for a guide, or anything. I am unfamiliar with these, as its the first I have ever seen. I just want to keep my guy happy. The worst part is that it is at his house, so everytime I work on it, he's there. It's too big for my trailer. It'd be nice to see an exploded diagram for this, so as to get an idea of how it's supposed to look, as far as belt type and any guides.

10. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

have you tried taking a steel or aluminum ruler as a straight edge and making sure all pulleys are on the same plane...if all the pulleys are snug, one may be bent ever so slightly.

or once the bearings get warm it gets loose?

just thinking out loud...