1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

clippers or power trimmers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by chevy1tondualyjd, Apr 9, 2004.

1. chevy1tondualyjd

chevy1tondualyjd LawnSite Member
    from Maine

while trimming hedges last year (using gas power) a person told us that if was better for the bush if it was hand cut with clippers.

does this make any sence
  2. specialtylc

specialtylc LawnSite Bronze Member

Maybe it is and maybe not. But I wont do it with armstrong power.
  3. Petr51488

Petr51488 LawnSite Silver Member
    from NJ

I use an electric hedge trimmer that i bought for about 50.00 and the Home Depot and i have a generator that i run it off of. To me theres no sence in buying a gass powered hedge trimmer for 3 or 4 houses. Another thing, do you think its rite to use other peoples electricity and make them pay for it?
  4. z_clark

z_clark LawnSite Senior Member

Yes, it makes LOTS of since! I own one small pair of gas sheers, and hardly ever use them. I use my hand sheers for everything. We use a technique called "pocket pruning". This is done by reaching into the plant and making some deep cuts to remove witch's broom type stuff. Remember that the plant will grow from where it is cut. By using this technique, we prune less often, and clean up is quicker. We use pocket pruning on all shrubs except boxwoods, and yaupons, and shrubs that customers insist that we keep in balls or other tight shapes. Hope this helps.
  5. DennisF

DennisF LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

I use both. It depends on the type and shape of the shrub as to which tool I use. For tall shrubs nothing beats an extended reach gas powered trimmer. Much better than trying to trim from a ladder with hand pruners. For shorter shrubs and shrubs with very delicate stems I use hand shears and by-pass pruners. This reduces the chance of damaging the plant and gives better control for shaping.
    For trimming Holly and other thorny shrubs a gas powered hedge trimmer is priceless and will save you from the scratches and cuts that you always seem to wind up with after a day of trimming.
  6. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

Do you use a backpack blower or a push broom?
  7. specialtylc

specialtylc LawnSite Bronze Member

Check this out.
  8. gogetter

gogetter Banned

Maybe I'm wrong, but I think it's more the true horticulturists or purists that prefer hand pruning.

I figure if it can be trimmed with powered trimmers, then that's how I'm doing it.

Maybe if you're trying to correct a specific problem (mis-shaped stuff, or thinned out stuff where you're trying to encourage growth), then the "pocket pruning" makes sense.
    But for regular maintenance, I'll stick to my gas hedge trimmers.
  9. locutus

locutus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

The use of the spell-check function, made available to all of us by the designers of this site, has never been needed as much as it is needed now. USE IT GOOBERS!
  10. gogetter

gogetter Banned

Way to contribute to the thread locotus. You did an excellent job of answering this person's question.:rolleyes:

BTW, I didn't have to look too far into your past posts to find misspelled words. LOL! People in glass houses.......