Clipping disposal

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Scag48, Apr 5, 2007.

1. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

Alright, I realize quite a few side discharge, a few mulch, but those of you who colect the clippings, where do you get rid of them? I wish I could mulch exclusively, I'd rather not have to bag, but with the rain we get I don't see any way around it. I have 4 customers so far in my new endeavour, all of them say they don't want to be mulched. Haven't really thrown a huge sales pitch toward the advantages of mulching yet, maybe when the summer months come around I can sell it a little more as the rain will slow down a little and the lawns will start to dry out, therefore the mulch would potentially help lawns stay greener, longer. I'm paying $16 a cubic yard to dump clippings only, what's everyone else doing for disposal?

2. Gruneich Lawn Care Inc.

Gruneich Lawn Care Inc. LawnSite Senior Member
    from SD

Find someone with a large garden, or a farmer that will let you dump them in there fields, If I do have to dump at the city landfill its only like $4.00 for over 4000lbs

3. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

Problem is that I'm right smack dab in the middle of suburbia, I don't want to have to drive 20+ miles round trip to get rid of grass. I might have to do some scouting around, I know that I don't want to keep paying $16 a cubic yard even though I've built it into my pricing.

4. Gruneich Lawn Care Inc.

Gruneich Lawn Care Inc. LawnSite Senior Member
    from SD

That is kinda high for grass clippings, Not sure how else to get rid of them unless you have a back area at your shop you can dump it at and let it turn to compost

5. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

Haha, I wish I had a shop! I live in an apartment complex, which presents much more complicated issues like tool storage as well as clipping disposal. I think I'm going to post an ad on craislist and see if I can find someone who wants a bunch of clippings. If I get lucky, there is an area about 6 or 7 miles from my place that has some larger acreage properties, maybe someone has a huge garden they'd let me use.

6. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Why did you think guys like me don't bag?

It's always some pita involved, if it ain't one thing it's another.
    Don't let it grow so long, and on a first cut if it's that tall, charge extra.

Beyond that, quad cuts work good, and if it still doesn't get rid of the clumps then you'll have to herd them into several piles and tarp and rake them (believe me it's faster than bagging), then dispose where you can, I prefer to leave them somewhere on their property like in the woods.

Another trick is to set your cut height 1/2" higher (thou on some mowers this can be time consuming pita too) then come back and cut it again in 5 days at regular height. Btw, you ARE cutting at 3", right?

7. cantoo

cantoo LawnSite Silver Member

Are you sure it's $16 per yard? Seems like a mistake to me. What do you pay for mulch?

8. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

Well, you're right topsites. I threw the pitch for mulching when I was in business once before, but the climate there was much different. I think if I can mulch on days where the grass isn't soaking wet, I can get away with only having to bag about 20-30% of the time. I guess I really need to get started in this new market to see what I can and can't do. Cut height here is 3-3.5", sometimes 4". Next week's cuts are going to be intense though, had some rain this week and it's going to be 65+ for the next 4 days :drinkup:

9. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

Yeah, I just checked the price sheet again. $16 per cubic yard.

10. NNJLandman

NNJLandman LawnSite Bronze Member

Yea prices around here for dumping grass is expensive as well, not many people will even take it anymore, its smelly, it attracts mosquitoes(which can result in a heath code problem), it piles up fast etc. I rarely bag but if I do, i live in the sticks so a lot of my accounts have woods, so I just dump in the woods and take the blower and knock it all around. A couple of buddies of my own big pieces of land with woods and they let me dump. Look for people filling in their yards or something.