Clippings

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by countryclub, Sep 1, 2006.

1. countryclub

countryclub LawnSite Member

Hey guys this is my first year in the business and things have gone really really well. I am in several different income level neighborhoods and have gotten great compliments from all. My question is about trying to improve technique and really do a great job. I am noticing that in some of the better homes where they have been sodded and have sprinkler systems that there are always a lot of clippings. LOTS of blowing but the biggest factor is what is left in the street. The people do not want to pay extra for bagging and i really don't want to do it, so my question is, how do i really clean up like a pro and leave my people with the best yard in town. Thanks for the help guys.

2. Brendan Smith

Brendan Smith LawnSite Bronze Member

you should not leave clippings in the street. make two passes around the perimiter of the lawn discharging inwards first. when you are done with the lawn, blow any clipping from the street back into the lawn. what kind of mower are you using? if it is a rider or a z, try mulching or double cutting to redusce visible clippings ont he lawn. then hit any remaining spots with the backpack to disperse them, and off you go. hope this helps.

3. lawnwizards

lawnwizards LawnSite Silver Member

cutting more frequently at a higher setting will minimize the clippings. if you cut every 7 days, make it 5 days. if you cut at 3" try 3 1/2"

4. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

Get licensed and do the fertilizer yourself. Make more money and control the growth instead of Tru Green N bombing it.
    You also can double cut the lawn or do the second pass with the deck up assuming you are using a Z. You may also try gator blades or something similar to shread the grass a little more. Otherwise the gent above gave good advice also.