Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by dan_greenthumb, Aug 10, 2007.

1. dan_greenthumb

dan_greenthumb LawnSite Member

What is the most efficient way to deal with clippings?
  2. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

mulch or side discharge the a search there are probably hundreds of threads about this topic.....btw, welcome to LS
  3. TMGL&L

TMGL&L LawnSite Member

don't just mulch the clippings it doesn't look as clean and definitely isn't professional.

Find a farm near by and talk to the farmer. That's what I did. I found a farmer who mixes all my grass clipping with manure and spreads it on his fields. I dump a heaping pickup truck load every week and its completly free and minutes from all my mowing locations.
  4. MattsMowing3535

MattsMowing3535 LawnSite Senior Member

Do not bag your lawns!!! It isnt healthy for the turf, sure it isnt good to have alot of thatch build up but you need some thatch!!! Side Discharge or mulch I only side discharge and if it clumps a little on the lawn blow it around with the blower and its gone.
  5. Ric3077

Ric3077 LawnSite Bronze Member

Do not bag ever! As mentioned, just mulch or side discharge or do a little of each. As long as you don't cut the grass in half you will have no sign of any clippings...if the grass gets longer...raise the deck a bit.
  6. M&SLawnCare

M&SLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

This is something you need to decide for yourself. Anyone that says "do not bag ever", or that says "you should bag everything" for whatever reason is wrong. Different locations, turf conditions, weather conditions, customer expectations, avalible dumping areas, and so on determine what is actually best for you. Some locations you need to bag every yard to stay in busness. Other areas nobody ever bags.

Personally I only bag one yard year round (at the customers request), but in the spring i'll generally bag a good amount of my yards. If i just S/D everything in the spring it would actually take me longer (double and obviously tripple cutting an entire lawn takes longer than bagging it for me) and it still wouldn't leave anywhere near as clean of a look. In summer/fall i S/D almost everything (debating switching to mulching next year) and just bag here and there when the grass gets thick.
  7. dan_greenthumb

dan_greenthumb LawnSite Member

Well, I am planning to mulch as much as possible. I figure that if my accnts are on a schedule, I shouldn't have a problem with over grown grass. I only see myself bagging only at the end of the season. S/D to me seems like a waste of time. I like the idea with striping, so i will sometimes make multiple passes, depending on pattern. Is blowing a lawn after a mow regular practice?
  8. MattsMowing3535

Id have to say go out and try S/D and then try mulch I only blow off the lawn when it starts to really grow in the spring and stuff usualy instead of a double cut on a small lawn. You can strip just fine mulching or S/D it actauly might be better if your not mulching but Im not totaly sure.... Seems that you have alot more suction with S/D so you would have alot more to bend the grass over.
  9. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

Thatch is not related to clippings. Thatch is the residue of the crowns of the plants having died off. It has nothing to do with clippings being taken off, or left lay on the turf.

If discharged or mulched clippings are heavy, and left lay, unable to degrade between mowings, then a buildup will happen. This is merely excessive clipping burden, and is not thatch.
  10. MattsMowing3535

I see... Well I'm still learning, I am only 16. Thanks for letting me know, It isn't healthy to bag all the time though is it? Because the grass breaks down and gives the grass nutrients doesn't it? Please let me know if I'm totally off on this...