Clockwise spinning straight shaft trimmers?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bbailey, Jul 15, 2008.

1. bbailey

bbailey LawnSite Member
    from Vermont

Does anyone know of a company that still makes a straight shaft trimmer that spins clockwise? They all seem to go counter-clockwise now. Thanks in advance!

2. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Nope. Why would you want a trimmer that spins backwards anyway?

3. bbailey

bbailey LawnSite Member
    from Vermont

Just used to going to the right I guess and pulling the grass away from the object that you are trimming around. Have a new Echo that spins left and an old homelite that i use all the time that spins right. I was just curious if anyone else wondered about that also, why they all spin left now?

4. rogerwb

rogerwb LawnSite Member
    from Idaho

Was the Homelite a curved shaft? Homelite hasn't been making a straight shaft for very long. The gear box on the straight shaft reverses the rotation.

Try trimming from right to left. Yes you may have to walk backwards if your right handed.

5. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Straight shaft trimmers always have spun to the left. That way they throw the grass away from houses and beds if you move to your left. You just need to learn how to use the throttle in your left hand.

My first straight shaft was a Homelite back in 96/97. Probably 96. That's a while.

6. kayakn

kayakn LawnSite Member

my old stihl fs 85 that is about 10 years old spins counter clockwise and my new stihl fs 45 spins clockwise. i dont know why that is why it is but, spinning clockwise shoots less debris at me.

7. greenred

greenred LawnSite Senior Member
    from IL

No one ever told me you could not walk to the right?

My brothers who worked with me and myself all naturally walked to the right when we used them. I have never had one problem with going to the right.

8. bbailey

bbailey LawnSite Member
    from Vermont

No the homelite I have is a straight shaft trimmer. Its probably 10 to 12 years old?

9. punt66

punt66 LawnSite Fanatic

They make them throw away from you for safety. I was thinking about that as well today as i trimmed an area i didnt want to blow. I have walked around it to avoid throwing the grass. I wish they would reverse it as well.

10. cbegap

cbegap LawnSite Member

Holy Crap, small world. I started with an Echo gt 2400 curved shaft and it spins clockwise. As soon as I got a straight shaft, I was getting pelted like crazy with rocks and crap. I'm right handed and walking to the right is the only way to go. Otherwise you have to grape-vine walk backwards which isn't nearly as comfortable. When you trim against the house with it going clockwise, it throws the grass back into the yard or grass and it throws the rocks out in front of you instead into your left leg. The line hits the concrete on curbs cutting it to the correct height versus smashing the grass against the curb. I have started weed eating left handed and walking the other way but it isn't that easy. I really wish there was and option or way to reverse the direction.