Clogging deck issues

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by BowtieNut, Jul 10, 2006.

1. BowtieNut

BowtieNut LawnSite Member

I have some questions about my semi-new Fastrak 20/52. I purchased it last fall and cut a little over an acre with it, probably about 20 times so far. Anyways, I'm having some issues with grass clippings clogging the deck. I'm fairly certain that it's not the Fastrak's fault (it was even worse on my old cub cadet), but I'm looking for any tips to make it better if possible. I have to scrape the deck out after every 4 or 5 mowings, and that's getting old! At my old house I only had to scrape the cub's deck once a year. Then I moved into a new house with a larger yard, installed irrigation, seeded new lawn, and after a couple months I'm having to scrape the cub's deck after every mowing. Also, it's taking me 3 hours or so to mow with the little cub 12/38, so I do some research and go out and buy the Fastrak. I absolutely love the fact that it only takes an hour to mow now, but I'm still having to scrape the deck too much.

So does anyone have any tips to make this better? Am I just running the irrigation too much? (3-4 times a week if it doesn't rain, any less and the lawn starts to get fairly brown, and I always try to make sure it's been off for a day or two before I mow). Was I just spoiled before with my non-irrigated sandy lot, and my new scraping schedule is acutally the norm? Am I just letting it get too long between mowings? At the old place I mowed once every two weeks unless we got alot of rain. At the new place I'm mowing every 6 or 7 days, or even 5 days if we get a heavy rain, but there's a big area in the back that really grows fast and thick, and I'd guess I'm cutting at least 1.5 - 2 inches off there (ironically, it's the only area where I DIDN'T put black dirt :mad: ). Any other ideas that I may be totally missing?

2. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

I would try mowing more frequent at a higher height and make sure the grass is as dry as it can be.

3. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

I scrape my deck once a week. A lot will depend on the grass conditions while your cutting. You mention new and old house. Grass conditions may be totally different.

Scraping once a year....must me nice!

4. BowtieNut

Thanks a bunch, I will give that a try. I sure am glad it only takes me an hour to mow now. I'd be hating life if I had to mow this often with that little cub, but with the Fastrak it's almost fun.

5. BowtieNut

Another question - how do you guys go about scraping the deck? The first couple times on mine, I just put the front up on jackstands. But then I'm laying on the floor, and scraping moldy grass clippings onto myself. Last time I took the whole deck off. I think it took about the same amount of time, since the time I spent to r/r the deck was probably saved in scraping time. I'm just curious how everyone else does it? I've also thought about using the engine hoist to jack up the front, but then I think the legs would be in the way unless I pulled it up REALLY far, if it's even possible before hitting the rear rollers.

Thanks for any more advice!

6. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

Jack the unit up high enough where it is easy to get under the unit.
    This is what I do on my mower when I need to sharpen the blades and scrape the deck.

Pj

7. puppypaws

puppypaws LawnSite Fanatic

Take a chain hoist and pull it straight up in the air as high as you want to go, I've got a short piece of chain I leave around a 10" by 10" beam on one of my sheds and just pull the front of the mower under it and hook a chain hoist to the middle, snatch it up and change the blades with an electric impact wrench or lay a old shower curtain under the deck and scrape it, all in a very short period of time. I have the short chain at a perfect height so when I pull under it I stand right on the operators platform and attach the chain hoist get off and hook to the mower and up she goes, it is so easy and fast I do not know how I could make it any more simple.