1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Close call but About Time!!!!!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Bama Mower, Jun 16, 2007.

1. Bama Mower

Bama Mower LawnSite Member

Im in northeast Alabama and it has rained a little 2 days in a row. I was mowing down by the river today and my front wheel got twisted up and didnt get back straight and it made my back tire catch a little mud and i started sliding down the hill(very small slope). My left front wheel seems like it takes a little longer to get back straight. What can i do to fix this problem? I thought i was going to have to bail off my ol Scag headfirst in the river. The man above was watching over me cause i hit a small piece of wood on the top of the seawall and it kept dry. Glad the rain came tho.

2. Sandgropher

Sandgropher LawnSite Senior Member

There seems to be a lot of reports of deaths lately, slideing down small slopes into the water, at least you are all right, if i owned one of these mowers i would practise bailing out over and over until i could do it in a few seconds, it could save your life.

It seems you broke all the rules> mowing when wet, mowing on a slope and mowing near water, glad you are still with us :)

BTW the makers of these mowers say always mow across not up and down the slope, but some folks say up and down is better ? not sure what the answer is ? what were you doing ?

on edit > you are glad the rain came ? it nearly cost you your life :laugh:

3. David C.

David C. LawnSite Member

I'm here in Central Alabama----Logan Martin Lake area----I'd pay big time to be able to mow grass in any area that does NOT have a slope

Some slopes are easy to judge----some--well, the area will deceive the eyes---one lawn I'm mowing---I started out on top of the slope----on my first pass I started slipping and slideing and spinning---and I'm thinking---"Lord!! I'm 25 yards from the lake and I'm already slipping---I wound up having to mow the slope with my 21"

One slope I have---I can't hardly stand up straight on it with my weed wacker and the gravel will have a tendency to "throw" you on the ground!! Know what I mean??

Give me yards that do NOT have slopes!!!

4. Allens LawnCare

Allens LawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

Sounds like a Job for Fluid Film....or a little grease....is it bent

5. Bama Mower

Bama Mower LawnSite Member

No it is not bent. I greased it Friday afternoon so im hoping that will help