Close Call with Hedge Clippers, Trimmer 1 / leg 0

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by Varsity L&G, May 29, 2008.

1. Varsity L&G

Varsity L&G LawnSite Senior Member

Well after years in the business I finally had a close enough call that I have ordered PPE for use while using saws and hedge clippers.

Here is how it went down with photo's to follow later in photo forum.

Was Trimming some shrubs with my Echo 150 with the IPOD blasting into a set of noise canceling head phones jamin some Hank III when I hit a dead branch that broke off then WHHAAAMMMMM.

Clippers came down out of the shrub through my pants, through the headphone cable, off the IPOD, through my underwear and into my leg.

So here I am in the middle of this ladies yard, leg throbbing, clippers off, no more music and expecting blood to gush out any minute.

I quickly drop my pants in the middle of the yard to find the IPOD saved my leg. Just a little skin missing along a 5 inch area. IPOD has a nice new nic and cracked edge.

I will never do this again with out PPE. $60 bucks for chaps is cheaper then a $600 dollar trip to the ER.

Yes the IPOD survived but the headphones were toasted. Time to get new ones. Any recommendations.

2. freshprince94

freshprince94 LawnSite Bronze Member

Sorry. Not to be rude, but that's exactly why I never listen to music with equipment going. Good luck.

3. Varsity L&G

Listening to music with NC head set on is no different then just using the NC head set, except this time it kept me from almost trimming my own bush.

Gets you in that hedge trimming mood!

4. Sweet Tater

Sweet Tater LawnSite Silver Member

oh my :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

bet your shorts were pretty full too.

Glad that your ok. that could have been really nasty

5. Martin Mowing

Martin Mowing LawnSite Member
    from Kansas

Thats the kind of thing that keeps us (Firefighter/EMT) in business.:nono:

Just kidding, actually sounded like a close call, glad you escaped with minimal injuries and losses!

6. Mike's Lawn & Snow

Mike's Lawn & Snow LawnSite Senior Member

Gotta be extra cautious with those things never realized how sharp they really were till last year when i cut a 1/3 off my index finger. Now i wear heavy leather gloves and leg protectors.

7. PaperCutter

PaperCutter LawnSite Bronze Member

Yeah, they'll bite you. Ten years ago I slipped on a wet hillside with the trimmers running full throttle and slammed them into the top of my left thigh. I've still got the U-shaped scars to prove I was stupid.

8. lawnprosteveo

lawnprosteveo LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tulsa

8 stitches in the left knee one summer, 6 in the right forearm the next...havent done it since thank God...Echo HC1500's

9. Varsity L&G

The Result!

DSC_4324.jpg

10. Az Gardener

Az Gardener LawnSite Gold Member

;) My 10 yr old cut himself with a hand saw today and it looks worse than that. Good thing you could enlarge the pic to illustrate the trauma.

Sorry couln't let that slide. *trucewhiteflag* Glad it was no worse, get that protective gear.