Close Call With My Time Frame!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Gatewayuser, May 6, 2006.

1. Gatewayuser

Gatewayuser LawnSite Bronze Member

Well its that time of year already, I think my mowers are ready for the season and they decide to break down at the worst possible time. I had just gotten a commercial account for around $300 per cut and the customer wanted it done by this afternoon for a special occasion so I said no problem it will be done. Well guess what my main mower (great dane gateway) decides to shatter thats right I said shatter a spindle assembly. Part won't be in for a few days. So then I am thinking there is noooo way that this job and my other $400 job will get done by this afternoon with my 48" gear drive wb backup mower. So I thought at least I will try well it broke too 10mins later. Ok well I will have to rent one so I go to my rental place nearby and they are closed on Sat. So I call my other rental place that does NOT rent mowers but they sell Husqvarna Commercial mowers and the owner said to come see him so I did and he let me rent a brand NEW $9,000 61" 25hp Kaw ZTR for $150 until Monday. He said once you will try you will want to buy it, he was right! I love this mower the cut is awesome it has the new tunnel ram deck and the steering is very predictable and nimble. I will probably go in on Monday and buy a 52" Husq ZTR I can't keep having my mowers breaking on me especially when I have so many jobs. I think I just have to realize that my mower is getting old (4years). I think I must have the worlds best dealer to be willing to trust me that much. It would have been different if it was a demo but its not. I just can't stand having to cut my schedule that close.
  2. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

Why didn't your Great Dane dealer just give you a mower to use while yours was down?
  3. ProStreetCamaro

ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member

None of our dealers do that here. If it goes down you had better have a nice backup or your SOL around here.

BTW thats awsome that your dealer did that for you!!! The new husky mowers look pretty good. Let us know how they do after a couple months of heavy cutting. I am willing to bet it will be a great mower just by the looks of it. We are about to buy a new ZTR and retire our 48" lazer Z HP that has 2,600 hours on it. It has never ever let us down in the 5-6 years we have used it but its time for something new for us as well.
  4. Gatewayuser

My Great Dane Dealer SUCKS and I will never buy anything from them again not even a sparkplug.

Yea my great dane has well over 2,000 hrs also, but its starting to show its age and you don't realize how far mower tech has come since I bought mine until you try something new.
  5. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

You're relying on a 48" belt mower as a backup for $700 worth of commercial work...and whatever else?:laugh:
  6. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member
    Posts: 3,569 only have 2 mowers, and one of those is an old used beat up 48" Bobcat WB that you just bought and repainted as a backup (as you posed recently on LS)

.......yet you have 4 employees (you and 3 others as you stated here on LS)? :dizzy:

7. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

well I'm relying on a 1-year old 48" for 300-400 / day with an 8-year old 48" as backup and it's not at all unusual I take the old one for a few days just to put the hours on it, but I hear you, when one thing breaks then the other one and you know, I am so glad I found out rental places you can get a spare for a few days in a pinch.

Same thing with my dealer he has no loaners, thou he WILL fix machines that were purchased from him first while everyone else who bought theirs wherever waits.
  8. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

That the worst position you can place yourself in is having to run out and make a major purchase on the spur of the moment--been there and done that. The dealer saw that you were needy and would flip out over a new piece of equipment(and a major upgrade at that) to replace your old one. He didn't really take much of a chance on renting it to you.
  9. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Very good point Charles. :clapping:
  10. Gatewayuser

I mostly do landscaping now(2-3 jobs per week booked for about 2 months possibly 3 if I get some that I just bid on.) and treatments (perimeter, turf, aquatic etc.)
    Thats correct 2 full time and 1 part time and of course reallllllly full time for me.:cry:

I won't buy ANYTHING spur of the moment if its over $500. Tomorrow I will start to examine what the best thing to do is and weigh the down time, lost work, unhappy customers, longer hours. I will let you all know what I do.