1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Close Call

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by deltascapes, Aug 29, 2006.

1. deltascapes

deltascapes LawnSite Member

My life flashed before my eyes as an old lady pulled out in front of me as I was hauling a tractor, box blade, and triller thank goodness we had everything secured down. any of you have any stories about the elderly or ways to secure you equipment during transit
  2. ACutAbovesiny

ACutAbovesiny LawnSite Senior Member

We almost took out and elderly man on a one way street...he crossed between parked cars looking the wrong direction. Equipment was fine. Everything was locked in.
  3. newz7151

newz7151 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Tejas

I'm sure hers took a leisurely stroll past her eyes as well....
  4. hickslawns

hickslawns LawnSite Member

I had the antilock brakes working last year with a pallet of pavers in the back of my dually. THe pallet actually moved about a foot on a dry rhino lined bed. Fortunately the pavers were plastic wrapped and not just metal banded. The old guy in the caddy didn't even look or know he just about killed 4 people on the way to bingo. I was going about 50mph and got slowed to about 25mph quick. this is why I stick to dirtbikes, too many idiots on the road to ride a road bike. If he didn't see my red quadcab 4x4 dually, then he sure wouldn't have seen a motorcycle.
  5. RonB

RonB LawnSite Senior Member

Yesterday I came to a light that turned yellow - you know, one of those you know you can easily make but I stopped just as it turned red .. good thing I did too. An elderly couple ran the red light from the other way - I would have been hit no doubt.

I was stopped before the other traffic moved - they were just shaking their heads - me too in relief.
  6. NNJLandman

NNJLandman LawnSite Bronze Member

Plenty of times where I thought for sure someone was going to pull out from a side street and take out my trailer, not seeing it or something. Plenty of times where I had to swuerve severely to avoid a collsion.

7. mike lane lawn care

mike lane lawn care LawnSite Bronze Member

the old people around here always pull right out in front of me when i have the trailer and van fully loaded. they somehow think that you can stop a rig rolling down the road at 40 weighing in at 7,000 lbs at the drop of a hat.
  8. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

The teenage girls who just got their permit/license are the ones to watch for along with the seniors.
  9. Brendan Smith

Brendan Smith LawnSite Bronze Member

rod, you perv :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

in addition to the elderly, i also ALWAYS keep an eye out for bikes too, especially since we straddle one of the main routes to myrtle beach.
  10. M and S Lawn Care

M and S Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

I agree! It seems that they love to pull out onto a 45 or 50 mph road right in front of you, and never really get over 30. There have been two time where i've locked all four and had to go on the shoulder because there's no way i'm slowing down fast enough to not rear-end them. Also, once a few weeks ago someone turned right on red, and obviously didn't see me. Once again, slam on the brakes and hit the shoulder. I passed them on the shoulder, while on the brakes as hard as I could without sliding. Crazy!

I'm (no lie) looking for a semi truck horn on ebay to mount in the back of my truck. People scare me, I scare them back.