1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Jerrys Lawn Service, Oct 27, 2000.

1. Jerrys Lawn Service

Jerrys Lawn Service LawnSite Member

After cutting a local church today,10 miles from my home
    we stoppedby my house,as I pulled up out front and hit the
    breaks it felt like the mowers all shifted foward but when
    I got out the trailer was on the ground! The hitch had torn
    itself apart under the truck where it bolts to the frame.
    The bolts themselves were still intact, the framework was
    broke in three places and the trailer started to go under the truck but was stopped by the safety chains (THANK GOD!)
    Well 2 hours and 250 dollars later the local hitch shop
    got us back on the job. I just couldn't belive how lucky
    we were for it to let go right in front of are own house,
    I never gave it a thought to check the framework under the truck as the hitch was a class 3 hitch 7500lbs. and only 5 years old. I guess you just never know.

Good Luck! jerryslawnservice@home.com
  2. landscaper3

landscaper3 LawnSite Bronze Member

3 Years ago with our Dodge 1 ton with the Cummings Turbo Diesel and a banks powerpack kit big h/p and tourque numbers, anyways we had a dump trailer with a bobcat with a sweeper on front. It weighed like 6000plus pounds, anyways stopped at a intersection real early in the morning nobody around and loving the sound of that diesel motor and 4.5 inch exhaust nailed the throttle and the trailer got hung up on the speed bump (you can see where this leads) trailer and bobcat stayed and that old Dodge kept going. The amount of noise when that U-HAUL hitch ripped off the truck was louder than than the truck. Been there done that!!!
  3. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

My trailor did almost the same thing. I hit a pothole and between the trailor and the hitch cracked into and hit the groundatjob as your were. Luckily I was going about 5mph. Called a mobile welder and for 110$ was back on the road. Took him about an hour to make the repair. But it was worth it for me. This was at the first of the year and its still holding up well
  4. Redmowers

Redmowers LawnSite Member

I was swaping trailers once of different height .I needed my taller drawbar for my taller trailer.I took the lower drawbar out of the hitch put the pin back in the drawbar.Picked up the taller bar got talking while putting it in the receiver loaded the trailer and drove off. After getting back and unloading the trailer I went to unhook the trailer to discover I had never put the pin through the hitch!Apparently the weight of the loaded trailer and the hitch tilted up slightly allowed me not to dump the trailer in the road.I'm glad it was a short run or I may have been pushing my luck.I should have purchased a lottery ticket on my way back ,WHO KNOWS.