Close friend bids on same lawn.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by SchultzLawnCare, Mar 18, 2008.

1. SchultzLawnCare

SchultzLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

Wondering what you do if your buddy is bidding on the same propertys that you are. Im in the proccess of submitting my bids and find out that my CLOSE friend sent his in yesterday...... should i still send mine in or what?

2. Dave_005

Dave_005 LawnSite Senior Member

I would still send in my Bid, friendship is friendship but Buisness is Buisness.

3. pinto n mwr

pinto n mwr LawnSite Senior Member
    from gr8, mn

like dave 005 said, friend is friend, biz is biz, but.....
    if it is a job that you really don't want but he does then asked him where you need to be at on price, mark it so it 95% assures him that you will not get it. Looks good for the both of you, you don't look like the person that picks and chooses bids and he came in at the lower price.
    I'd still bid no matter what though...

4. 1cooltreeguy

1cooltreeguy LawnSite Senior Member

Unless you had a no compete agreement with him- send it in.... I have an agreement with 1 of my good friends and we actually ask the prospective customer if anyone is bidding on it and get the names. sometimes you can't help it though...

5. PTSolutions

PTSolutions LawnSite Silver Member
    from OH

did he know you were planning on bidding the account?

6. Skimastr105

Skimastr105 LawnSite Senior Member

Separate friendship and business. I learned that one a long time ago. Business is business - submit the bid.

Maybe even lowball the **** outa it... lol jk - don't do that... ever

7. SchultzLawnCare

nope, neither of us did but i called him like 5 minutes before i was gunna fax it in and told him what i was doing and he mentioned he was already sending his in...... but i already faxed mine as of 5 minutes ago.... hopefully he wont be upset or ruin our friendship

8. SchultzLawnCare

nope, neither of us did but i called him like 5 minutes before i was gunna fax it in and told him what i was doing and he mentioned he was already sending his in...... but i already faxed mine as of 5 minutes ago.... hopefully he wont be upset or ruin our friendship

9. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

No, in this case, I think you'll be alright. It's not like you found out he was bidding on it, then ran out and put all your efforts in. Wish each other luck, and go from there. Heck, you may end up using each other a little here or there on the job. We do that sort of stuff all the time. It will be interesting to compare some notes over a beer though, if you guys are close to each other in expenditures.
    Edit: P.S. I want to wish you both good luck on it....I hope you do well.

10. Toad

Toad LawnSite Senior Member

Look ,someone has to get the job. Lets hope its one of you, that gets it. I would asume you are not the only two bidding. So if this happens again do you question your every bid.