closecall

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Vandora Lawn & Landscape, May 13, 2001.

1. Vandora Lawn & Landscape

Vandora Lawn & Landscape LawnSite Senior Member

I was out mowing today and I saw lacrosse ball (3" diameter solid rubber) go under my mower then I saw it shoot 100 ft into the garage of my customer just in front of their in motion suburban. I don't think they noticed, but I sure did!

2. guntruck

guntruck LawnSite Senior Member

Sounds all too familiar.......one of my accounts has 2 daughters that play lacrosse( referrals from you buddy row) and i've ran over them twice now luckily they didnt launch. Now i check twice before i start!!

3. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping LawnSite Silver Member

i mow one lawn that abuts a golf course. when the grass is tall its tough to see the golf balls. one time i didnt see one and launched it three backyards over. it probably couldve killed someone if it hit them. now i have to walk the whole backyard over before i mow.

4. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

Another reason to have the deflector down on the mower deck. You just never know when you might hit something and sooner or later you will

5. Greenkeepers

Greenkeepers LawnSite Senior Member
    from NE Ohio

Those solid rubber "kong bone" dog toys fly far as well.. Be careful out there !

6. this one isnt about golf balls, lacrosse balls, or whatever. i had heard a while back about this guy who was i think using a weed whacker while some other guy was using a little 21 inch push mower. the guy with the push mower accidentally, i guess ran over one of those marker things. you know the ones. the little metal wires with the flags on top. so the mower threw the wire marker and it would up going right through the guy with the trimmer. i think it went through his torso somewhere.

7. jeffyr

jeffyr LawnSite Senior Member

last week I was mowing and a customer had an inflattable ball about 2 feet round. I figured the mower deck would just push it along.....nope. It was sort of tacky and the deck rode up on it ... 1000 tiny pieces of rubber in the catcher. luckily it was very thin.

jeffyr :rolleyes: