Closed or open?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by comrad, Apr 7, 2005.

1. comrad

comrad LawnSite Member
    from Sac

What would you guys suggest getting, a closed trailer (with a roof and everything) or an open one (i dont know the correct terms for these trailers, sorry) i have 2 lawn mowers, 2 trimmers, and 1 blower. I already have a 6'x12' closed trailer, do u think this one will be good.

I also want to know how you guys suggest doing the inside, like positioning all of the equipment so it does no move aorund inside.

Thanks in advance!
  2. lawnandplow42

lawnandplow42 LawnSite Senior Member

There a tons of pictures of enclosed setups around here.
    If you already have an enclosed trailer, you might as well keep it.

I prefer open.
  3. nobagger

nobagger LawnSite Gold Member
    from Pa

How big are the mowers? I would stay with the enclosed trailer if its in good shape. But you need to load the tounge weight correctly. My 7x12 open trailer tows very nice when loaded correctly. I have my Exmark Viking (about 700lbs) 2 feet in front of the axle plus a landscape box that is about 100lbs that sits on the front of the trailer and the rest of the stuff in their places. I use thumb release tie-downs (the cloth kind NOT THE NYLON TYPE!) the nylon type will work loose where as the cloth type won't, well they never have for me anyway. Hope this helps :waving:
  4. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

Here is mine. The mowers are a gravely 34z and a 52 exmark lazer. I just screwed 2x4's to the floor. I did this for the jack on the right. The big toolbox in front is bolted down and the small one is screwed to that with sheet metal screws.

April 2005 lawns 039.jpg
  5. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

Here is another with the exmark on the trailer.

April 2005 lawns 042.jpg
  6. comrad

comrad LawnSite Member
    from Sac

sorry for not replying in a long time but i decided to do it like his ^, and i have 2 21" mowers (2 hondas) and i have 2 trimmers (echo and tanaka) and i got an echo blower. I also have a tractor (craftsman) but i only carry that like once a month, and i already got people calling me, business is starting out.

Thanks for all the help guys