Closed trailer vs Open trailer

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by GrassQuester, Feb 10, 2008.

1. GrassQuester

GrassQuester LawnSite Member

I have worked with both for a total of 18 years here are my pros for both

Pros Open Trailer

-With rack easier to grab equipment
    -Can load mulch,rocks easy
    -Can load palm cutting easier
    -Can load into garage if you are not allowed by your home owner association to have a closed trailer.
    -Easier to keep clean.
    -Can load all debris easy
    -less heavy than a enclosed trailer = less gas

Pros Enclosed Trailer

-Looks more proffesional
    -Keeps equipment out of weather conditions
    -Can add awesome graphics
    -Prevents stolen equipment
    -Its like a mobile workshop
    -Just lock 2 master locks and your stuff should be safe.
    -Keeps plants from becoming wind burned

Feel free to add on and ill add them to the list hopefully we can get it stickied:p Im sure this subject comes up alot.
  2. CrystalCreek

CrystalCreek LawnSite Bronze Member

i have also had both and hear is what ive found

open trailers

everything you said so far is a pro in my book,

here is the con. I have found myself trying to save a few seconds. hopping over the sides of an open trailer is a way to do this. it is also a way to break a leg or twist an ankle. You can't hope over the sides of an enclosed trailer. I did this and was down several days. Not cool:nono: You could also hurt yourself on the enclosed trailers. My tailgate ramp gets very slippery when wet. I need to do something but not sure what? any ideas
  3. gandk06

gandk06 LawnSite Senior Member

Open trailer pro.

enclosed trailers are very expensive when they both do the same thing (move equipment).

STRINGALATION LawnSite Senior Member

i have a desire and need for both. i like the idea of landscaping out of a box and cutting on an open trailer. in my mind all the debris hauling and mulch and stuff is what dumptrucks and skiddies are for but hey right now i got a jeep and a small trailer so go figure
  5. LushGreenLawn

LushGreenLawn LawnSite Silver Member

One more pro to an enclosed trailer, actually my favorite...

No more stopping to PEE! Dosent sound like a big deal, but it takes alot of time to stop at a fast food place or convienence store.
  6. customcurbdesigns

customcurbdesigns LawnSite Member
    from Tampa

When its hot down here, with all the fluids I drink, I still dont have to pee...I think I sweat it all

Or you can always go on the side of the neighbors house...JK
  7. lawnpro724

lawnpro724 LawnSite Silver Member

I prefer open trailer for the simple reason, there more functional. Some earlier mentioned that a closed trailer can be locked up to keep equipment safe, to me it looks like keeping all your equipment in a trailer ready to go so the thieves can just back up a drive off. Sure they may have to cut through some padlocks but really how long does that take.
  8. customcurbdesigns

customcurbdesigns LawnSite Member
    from Tampa

Exactly. Try getting 10 yards of mulch in a enclosed trailer. Wont happen.
  9. hackitdown

hackitdown LawnSite Silver Member

Another Pro for open trailer...I can pull up to the gas pumps and fuel my truck and mowers at the same time. I'm not sure, but I don't think you can fuel the mowers when they are inside the trailer (directly from the gas station pump). I have also pulled up to a coin op car wash and used it to powerwash my mower and trailer at the same time without removing the mowers.

But I don't know...I only have an open trailer.