Closing Fall Cleanup Deal?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Doogiegh, Nov 14, 2002.

1. Doogiegh

Doogiegh LawnSite Senior Member

Ok, seems like right now I've gotten a fair number of calls for estimates on fall cleanups. Being that these are already in my general area, I've been able to give out the estimate without too much problem.

Seems like I'm not closing that many of the overall deals. I'm pricing what I think is fair, but it may be a little high. I also have read that on here, leaves are very deceiving so it's not something you want to go low on.... a 3 hour leaf job that takes 7 is alot worse than a 25 minute mow job that takes 35..

It seems that I'm getting alot of tire kickers.. People who want estimates, but I'm hearing alot of "Well, my husband wants to do it. If he needs helps, he'll call you.."

Yeah, like they will ever call back?

And I want to keep the price high so that if they do, I'll be getting full price rather then getting called "on short notice" for a crappy rate..

So what lines do you use to "close" the deal and convince the customer that you're the right guy for the leaf job?

Thanks!

2. Ryan Lightning

Ryan Lightning LawnSite Senior Member
    from CA

"Do you want me to do it on Monday, are Tuesday?"

3. KLMlawn

KLMlawn LawnSite Senior Member

As them that before you give them the price ... that way you might be able to tell if they are seriously looking or just kicking tires .....

4. Atlantic Lawn

Atlantic Lawn LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Outer Banks NC

Show em some pictures of your work, if a before and after shot doesn't close them ....move on

5. bubble boy

bubble boy LawnSite Bronze Member

are we talking 4 or 5 estimates? or 25?

really if its a few estimates its the nature of the biz.

lot of competition here means less closing % - we're used to it

6. little green guy

little green guy LawnSite Senior Member

If it's a few then it probly means your pricing is right because if you get all the jobs you bid it means your pricing is to low. If it's like 25 then you might be a little to high.

Also this time of year you don't realy get many good customers calling beause most of then are already signed up with someone for the year, most of the people that call this time of year just want a cheap price.

7. AL Inc

AL Inc LawnSite Bronze Member

Doogie- The leaves are coming down fast and furious now, and we are so busy with our established clients that if someone else asks for an estimate, I'll give them a number higher than what I think it's worth. If they go for it, great, otherwise it doesn't matter to me. I'm not going to put a "one shot" clean-up customer in front of a good, established, good paying client, unless the money is right.

I wouldn't worry about these one shot "tire kickers" and concentrate on establishing a good full service customer base. If these people are just trying to get the lowest price, leave that to someone else. Good luck, Mike

8. Ground Master

Ground Master LawnSite Senior Member

In my opinion, most homeowners do not realize that leaf jobs take a long time, are the dirtest jobs for your crew and you get a ton of leaves to haul off.

If they have done there own leaf cleanups before, they buy a box of hefty bags, rake up enough piles to fill 10 bags and call that done.

You gotta sell them on the complete job. Perhaps before and after pics will work. Its almost as if you have to be referred for them to realize what a good job is. You may even want to give out a few addresse of jobs you did that week.