1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Closing off the chute, and using gator blades

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jds720, Jul 5, 2008.

1. jds720

jds720 LawnSite Senior Member

will this work just as well as a mulch kit? i have a Scag Tiger Cub w/ the 24hp B&S.
  2. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

without a true mulch kit that blocks each bade off from the next the blades will still push the grass towards the discharge side, if it's blocked by a plate the grass will just go down and out in a neat row... Handy if you are wanting to pull a tiny hay baler to pick up the rows, not so great for the apperance of the lawn if you don't.

However, if it's DRY and you aren't taking off much at all you may be able to get by with it. Try it and see, never know.
  3. billslawn89

billslawn89 LawnSite Bronze Member

thats the setup i use on my 52" turf tiger, all three gators blades and just the mulch plate to block the opening. yes at times you will get clumps left behind, but most times works fine, but lately with the grass growing so fast here, i'm just cutting without the block off plate and letting the grass fly. if i have any clumps in the lawn, i take the blower to them.