1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Clothing questions...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by DPruett2333, May 9, 2004.

1. DPruett2333

DPruett2333 LawnSite Member

during the summer in 90+ heat, what do you guys wear to keep professional and yet cool at the same time?...

Also, do you wear gloves, earplugs, etc?...
  2. MacLawnCo

MacLawnCo LawnSite Bronze Member

kahki shorts and light pastel colored polos.

Yes to ear protection... Stihl ear muffs (best fit ive found) I personally only wear gloves when im running the shovel, hedge trimmer, or changing mower blades.
  3. meets1

meets1 LawnSite Gold Member

We were shorts that look respectable. Depending upon the job though, I will let the guys know ahead of time what were doing and I think pants would be great with workshoes. Although if were out on a new job, be doing a landscape, block wall, or mowing bare lots for the city, we'll work on our tan. I always stress that if you go a conveience store, put on a shirt, if the client comes out and talks, politely put on the shirt.

Eag plugs, I don't wear. I should, I have them with us all the time. Safetly glasses - when trimming/edging or cutting block. Gloves - when doing tree work or cutting out old shrubs.
  4. work_it

work_it LawnSite Senior Member

I wear a white T-shirt with my logo on it, a pair of tan/kakai pants, boots, gloves, eye protection, peltors (ear protection), and a baseball cap. Just drink a lot of water and know when to take a break. Another trick is not using the A/C in the truck. Too hard for the body to constantly adjust to the changing temperatures.
  5. DPruett2333

DPruett2333 LawnSite Member

hey guys, thanks for the replies!
  6. mtdman

mtdman LawnSite Gold Member

Mac is right on with the stihl hearing protectors. I have 2 pair that I switch between all day, and when I do a lot of blowing I wear ear plugs as well.

As far as clothing, jean shorts, white company tshirt. ALWAYS wear eye protection (stihl sunglasses) and ear protection. Sunny days, I have my hat on as well. Yep, it's hot, but all necessary. Some days I take a complete change of clothing and switch halfway through the day.

7. chefdrp

chefdrp LawnSite Bronze Member

kakhi shorts, embroiderd polo shirt, waterfroof stealtoe boots, black socks, peltor radio ear protection. eay protection and gloves.
  8. fga

fga LawnSite Silver Member

I try to wear shorts, but wind up getting killed with the trimmer. Those little rocks hurt like %$#@!!
  9. rkbrown

rkbrown LawnSite Senior Member

I agree with FGA...I wear lightweight work pants. I believe that they are Lee's Carpenter pants that I bought on sale. I use ear plugs and eye protection at all times.
  10. EMackIV

EMackIV LawnSite Member