Cloudy weather affecting simazine?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by grassmasterswilson, Oct 18, 2013.

1. i think im gonna follow suit...
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. greendoctor

greendoctor LawnSite Fanatic

A non irrigated lawn can burn up and not recover for the rest of the summer.

3. ArTurf

ArTurf LawnSite Gold Member
    Male, from Ark

One thing I noticed with my recent app of simazine is that it really knocked out the crab left from summer. When you used to use it in the summer did it have a good effect on crab? I know it's on the label just didn't expect to see a strong response.

4. greendoctor

Sure did. No damage to the turf, but damage and eventual removal of targeted weeds. That was combined with Image for removal of grassy weeds from grasses that could not be treated with MSMA. I added MSMA to that mix for treatment of bermuda and zoysia. No such thing as strange grasses that could not be selectively removed. Things do not work the same on a non irrigated, minimally fertilized lawn. I am so thankful that the SU herbicides became broadly labeled. In my state, just as MSMA was going away, atrazine and simazine became highly restricted. I understand in many states, simazine is not named as a state RUP. In Hawaii, it is.

5. greendoctor

One more thing to note. Triazines are also affected by soil pH. They become more mobile and persistent in alkaline soils vs acid soils. 2 lb simazine is rather hot on pH 7.5 soil. Atrazine can become unusable, too much risk to surrounding trees. I know someone who cooked trees growing in the lawn with simazine. No, he was not a jackwagon that could not do math. It was because the herbicide leached down in alkaline soil.

6. ArTurf

ArTurf LawnSite Gold Member
    Male, from Ark

Fortunately all my soils are acidic