Clover and Weeds

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by Whitaker24, Mar 28, 2009.

1. Whitaker24

Whitaker24 LawnSite Member

Guys this year seems we have clover everywhere. I have been told to put out weed and feed to help so i did. I have noticed the dandelions going away. The clover seems to not be effected. What more can I do? Im almost to the point of tilling up sections of my yard in 20x20 sections and starting over. If I start over i plan to till up old soil and clover ect, rake it up, then plant new grass. I live in SC how should I do the seed, fertlizer ect. In the past I just put it out and then put hay over the top of it.

Looking for grass what will not be too high ect. I would love to plant golf course grass, but not sure it will grow.

If I can get rid of the clover without all this i would be more than happy to.
    Thanks for any help.

2. betmr

betmr LawnSite Bronze Member

If you till it up without kill the Clover, you will probably still get clover, as clover is one of those plants that sets roots from each of those little nodes. If you don't rake out every one of them, they will root and come right back. You need to get a liquid herbicide especially for clover and spot treat it. most times this will take 2 applications spaced as per LABEL.

If you plan to Renovate, I would suggest you spray w/ round up wait 14 days, till and rake smooth then plant new seed.

3. Whitaker24

would u recommend any particular ones?

4. david shumaker

david shumaker LawnSite Senior Member

I had to spray the clover in my yard 3 times to kill it. I only had a small area of clover and now wish I had left it there. A little clover doesn't hurt anything and actually adds nitrogen.

Bumble Bees like clover and now I miss the little bees since I killed the clover.

5. david shumaker

david shumaker LawnSite Senior Member

I've been using SpeedZone for broadleaf weeds.

6. BostonBull

BostonBull LawnSite Senior Member

Do you not like the look of the clover? if you mow high enough the clover is covered and cant be seen. Clover are natures little N machines. They produce pounds of N per sq/ft in a year and dont do anything bad besides look different. Scott's used to sell clover to homeowners in the 40's and 50' for this very reason. I personally leave mine, mow high (like you should anyways) and enjoy the free fertilizer!

http://www.allaboutlawns.com/lawn-weeds-pests/removing-the-clover-from-your-lawn.php

http://www.lesslawn.com/articles/article1061.html

7. Whitaker24

I just have so much of it. Its thick to say the least Ill see if I can get some photos. I dont mind it in lil spots here and there, but over septic lines ect its tough to cut. I have some beside my garage, off my back porch, next to my sons play areas.

I mow on 3" cut. If I go higher Ill have to mow my yard every week without rain. We live in what used to be a pasture, so the lawn yard grows fast.

8. Sweet Tater

Sweet Tater LawnSite Silver Member

try 2-4-d, its its for your own lawn you dont have to be lic, it will kill broad leaf weeds suck as clover, wild onions,dandilions and such.

9. BostonBull

BostonBull LawnSite Senior Member

And your son, dog, cat, etc etc Toxic stuff I wouldnt want near my family!

Mowing once a week is normal. 3" is good for the height. if it is getting too thick try some corn gluten meal, or vinegar for a more natural solution...?

10. GracesLandscaping

GracesLandscaping LawnSite Senior Member

2-4-D is basically the best thing for this. most all type of weed out mix has the main ingrediant of 2-4-D