Clover control

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by smithsonmi, May 14, 2001.

1. smithsonmi

smithsonmi LawnSite Member

I have a yard with no weeds other than Clover gone crazy. It isn't awful as it is all green, but what is the control to minimize or eliminate the clover? You can't even pull it as it is very hard to find the bases of the plants in a 2-3' patch. Turf is very healthly Bluegrass in Michigan area.

Thanks!

2. GroundKprs

GroundKprs LawnSite Bronze Member

Confront is the very best for clover, but it is a little weak on some other lawn weeds. It is a combo of triclopyr and clopyralid, and is also about the best there is for violets - will take two applications, but usually zero violets left after 2nd appl. A good broad spectrum weed control is Lesco's Momentum, which contains the two ingredients above plus good old standby 2,4-D.

3. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member

I use Momentum, works great on Clover. Spray today, clover is curling tomorrow.

4. John DiMartino

John DiMartino LawnSite Silver Member

Id hit it now ,but any that lives will die easier with another application in the fall-I get twice the kill on clover in the falll as the in the spring.

5. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

Millennium Ultra.
    First time used, did a good number so far.

6. David Gretzmier

David Gretzmier LawnSite Gold Member

the problem I've had w/ clover is runoff. you need a fair amount of surfactant/penetrant, and tri-mec will do the job. I've sprayed the clover and sat there and WATCHED it roll off. surf-king at 2 quarts per 100 gallons works for me. dave g

7. GrazerZ

GrazerZ LawnSite Senior Member

I was told that Millenium ultra and momentum were basically the same thing-a mix of confront and trimec

8. smithsonmi

smithsonmi LawnSite Member

I found Confront at my local supply but their minimum quanity is way more than I will need in my lifetime.

Does anyone live or know anyone who is in the Detroit MI area whom I can potentially buy a smaller amount of confront (say a pint or so). The label says to mix 0.5 oz/gallon of water, so a little certainly goes a long way.

Thanks guys!

9. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member

Do you have a Lesco? Heck, Weed-B-Gone at Home Cheapo knocks out clover.

10. GroundKprs

GroundKprs LawnSite Bronze Member

Yes, go to Lesco and get a gallon of Momentum. After you see how good it works, you'll wish you had gotten the 2-1/2 gal jug. As I stated above, this is a better broad spectrum weed control than Confrontand does well on clover. If you have the need for it, Confront is super for clover and violets, but weak on some other broadleaves. But it is not too often that you have just those two weeds to deal with. ;)

Years ago we would mix Confront with a 2,4-D product for great broad spectrum weed control. Lesco has put the two together for you in Momentum, so you don't have to mix it yourself.