clover in my yard

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by grass disaster, Jun 27, 2005.

1. grass disaster

grass disaster LawnSite Silver Member

i was at home lookn at my yard yesterday and saw that i have some small bunches of clover starting.

how do i get rid of it. i think my dad has some 2,4d left over will that kill it?

maybe i should just round up it and reseed?
  2. sildoc

sildoc LawnSite Silver Member

2-4,d will do just fine and not have to reseed at all. read label and mix properly may take 2 sprays to wipe it all out unless you do a blanket of the area. I recomend spot spray unless it is near an entire lawn that is a mix of broad leaf and turf grass mix.
  3. teeca

teeca LawnSite Bronze Member

i'd wait until fall to spray if their is alot (blanket spray) not sure of the weather up there, but here in indy it's way to hot and dry to spray anything on a lawn, besides if you wait until fall, you will most likly get rid of all the weeds that will be germinating, thus eliminating the weeds in the spring.
  4. Green Pastures

Green Pastures LawnSite Silver Member

Lime will help, clover is usually indicative of acidic soil around here......
  5. ThreeWide

ThreeWide LawnSite Bronze Member

Keep in mind that soil that has been properly fertilized will not normally see clover. Chances are you have clover due to lack of Nitrogen.

As mentioned above, if the temps are above 85 you shouldn't be spraying broadleaf herbicides as a general rule. Once you spray a herbicide, there is often a period of time where seeding cannot be done. Always read the label.
  6. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Dicamba controls clover and is safe on most turfs. It may take several application to get it all. Watch this time of year not burn it because of the heat factor. Read your labels, most 3 way herbicide products will have Dicamba.
  7. Mark McC

Mark McC LawnSite Bronze Member

Scott, where is around here for you? I'm in northern VA and wonder if your statement applies up this way.
  8. tnturbo

tnturbo LawnSite Member

How do you guys get lasting control of clover. I have one area where neighboring yards have TONS of white clover and it just keeps coming back. I've been using 2,4,D and it works good, but sometimes stunts the grass too.
  9. teeca

teeca LawnSite Bronze Member

assuming you have cool season grass, start with a aeration, overseed, and a 34-0-15 @ 3.5# per 1K (in fall), to thicken up the lawn, then a strict fert plan the next spring. you will have the greenest lawn on the block. in the spring try a 16-28-12 @ 3.5# per 1K.
  10. plowboy81

plowboy81 LawnSite Member

The best chemical on the market for clover is Speedzone. Gordons makes it and they are the same company who makes Trimec. I have 110% results every time with Speedzone. It is about 60 bucks a gal and you mix 1.5 oz per gal. You can spot spray with a fan jet nozzle. Speedzone is a mixture of 2-4D and another chemical and is specifically made to get clover as well as all broadleaf weeds. The best time to spray is whe it is over 65 degrees. It only has to have 3 hrs to dry before rain. Good luck. Hope this helps, I guarantee it will work.