clover killer

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by mrkosar, May 4, 2007.

1. mrkosar

mrkosar LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

which herbicide works better on clover, but is similar to price with 3-way?

i know i can get speedzone, redzone, momentum, etc...but they are more expensive. any close in price, but more effective?

2. JFF

JFF LawnSite Member

3-way (2-4-d) always worked for me. Ya just have to scuff the surface of the clover with your shoe. Sounds silly but it works.

3. muddstopper

muddstopper LawnSite Silver Member

This might not be exactly what you are looking for, but it sure suprised me.
    Last week I was getting in my last fertilization for my own yard before the summer heat. I used my hydroseeder to mix up the fertilizer and lime I was going to apply and decided to mix in 2oz of Agrispon bio-stimulant to help the microbes a little bit. I applied this to about 18000 sqft. Last nite, (after being away for a week) when I got home I noticed a brown tint to my lawn. All the clover looked to be bitten and dieing. Now I had no intentions of killing the clover and I had fertilized in this manner for years without seeing this type of reaction. The only difference was the addition of Agrispon. Is this an effective way to kill clover, I cant say, but it looks like it is working. Agrispon is a completely organic bio stimulant and is not labeld as a herbicide. MSDS claim you can injest large quantities without a reaction, but it looks like it does a number on clover. I plan on calling the manufacturer to find out what exactly is going on. Some of the other weeds also look a little bitten, but I havent seen anything negative with the fescue grass. Anyways at $50 for 10 acres worth of coverage, its a lot cheaper than conventional herbicides, now if I can just get them to do something about this labeling thingy.

Disclaimer
    Dont try this if you have bermuda or zoyzia grasses, Agrispon does a number on most warm season grasses according to the manufacturers trials, (Fungus problems) but is supposed to work wonders on fescues. I really, really, really, recommend you do your homework before you buy any of this stuff. And I certainly am not going to apply anymore to my own lawn until I find out the exact reasons for what I am seeing.

4. fall46

fall46 LawnSite Member

Has anyone ever mixed Tricclopyr in a little spray bottle like (like an old lyscol bottle) Scotts has the concentrate Clover Chickweeed & Oxalils killer, but they say to mix 2 tbs per gallon. How much for a little spray bottle? Any ideas?

5. shaneb

shaneb Inactive

Adding a little Octane (new herbicide from SePRO) at 1.5 oz. per acre to your 3-way has shown really good results here in Indy.

6. upidstay

upidstay LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

A very good, cheap clover killer is Lesco Eliminate-D. Used to be called Bentgrass Select. Smoke clover, and it's cheap.

7. Neal Wolbert

Neal Wolbert LawnSite Senior Member

Has Ohio banned chlorpyralid (Confront)? If not, it's the best, hands down. Dow's Spotlight is very good too.

Neal

8. indyturf

indyturf LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indy

Confront is only labeled for commercial properties now, but that was the best for clover! I used to just spike my 3-way with a few ounces and it worked great!

9. Grassworks Inc.

Grassworks Inc. LawnSite Member

Get some straight MCPP amine and spike your 3way with .25oz./K of the MCPP and add some spreader-sticker. The key to clover control is to spread the herbicide over the leaf. It has a tendency to bead up on clover.

10. lawn king

lawn king LawnSite Silver Member

Drive kicks butt on clover, but its not cheap.