clover & nitrogen

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by doclt, Apr 18, 2004.

1. doclt

doclt LawnSite Member

It is my understanding that clover grows in areas that lack in nitrogen,
    I just signed up a customer with 12,015 square feet of lawn, there are spots that are full of clover--my normal tank mixture is 32-0-0 (nitrogen), mechamine D and water soluable Iron--would this mixture work for the clover problem or are there other more aggressive approaches I should consider. Thanks DOCLT.
  2. DiscoveryLawn

DiscoveryLawn LawnSite Senior Member

3. Hamons

Hamons LawnSite Senior Member

You have two parts to your question:

1) How to kill the clover. Mec Amine-D (2,4-D, MCPP and Dicamba) will kill the clover easily. Sppedzone, which adds carfentrazone is quicker to kill the clover.

2) How to keep the clover away. Healthy turf will outcompete clover very easily. Check the soil chemistry, and then design a nutrient program that will balance out the yard. Nitrogen alone will not get it done.

What else do you use other than 32-0-0?
  4. doclt

doclt LawnSite Member

just started after becoming certified and unfortunately my repretuar is quite limited so in spray form this is what i have used, i have however heard that 15-5-25 , 25-5-15 and 16-16-16 in granular form has good results.
  5. vegomatic40

vegomatic40 LawnSite Senior Member
    from 6

Since clover is a legume, it fixes it's own Nitrogen. This is why even small amounts of Nitrogen can cause a temporary "burn" on the leaves. It is unlikely that applying a fertilizer at conventional rates (without burning the turf as well) will offer control. The key to control is applying broadleaf herbicides with a surfactant to break up the surface tension on the leaves. Ever look at clover leaves after a rain? The water beads up and rolls right off. A surfactant will disperse the droplets and help to get better coverage of leaf surfaces. As far as the above mentioned fertilizers I wouldn't get too excited about any specific analysis(s). You can burn a lawn with a 5-5-5 if enough is applied.
  6. doclt

doclt LawnSite Member

thanks--good info, will continue to take an active approach to this problem and see what works.