1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

clover vs herbicides

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by RigglePLC, Jun 8, 2013.

1. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

I tested five herbicides against clover. I used hand sprayers. I tried to use the label rate, but the method is approximate. After 48 hours, I found that in my judgment Speedzone was most effective, T-Zone was second, followed by a three-way and then Quicksilver and Drive. I will take another close look tomorrow.

Black medic was included in the T-Zone, Quicksilver, and Drive micro plots.

How does this compare to your experience?

S3500003 (2).jpg

S3500004 (2).jpg

S3500005 (2).jpg

S3500007 (2).jpg

S3500006 (2).jpg
  2. propositionjoe

propositionjoe LawnSite Member

Why didn't you include Quincept or Escalade? Quincept has quinclorac, 2,4-D and dicamba all three of which are very good on clover (plus it controls small and big, but not medium) crab; Escalade has fluroxypyr instead of quinclorac and in my experience is the best thing ever for clover control.
  3. GreenUtah

GreenUtah LawnSite Senior Member
    from SLC, UT

I agree with Escalade for clover, but why not a "sticker"? Clover, medic, wild violet etc. are so stinking waxy that it's hard to get good penetration before the product simply rolls off or is held in suspension til evaporation without absorption.

I think active ingredient may not be showing it's true potential on these tests but maybe more so the carrier differences. Mix in your favorite spreader sticker and see if your results vary drastically .
  4. Glenn Lawn Care

Glenn Lawn Care LawnSite Silver Member

I have had good luck killing clovers with lesco 3 way which is 2, 4-d. Lesco momentum will kill it 100%.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  5. alpine627

alpine627 LawnSite Member

agree momentum is very effective
  6. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

I did include spreader sticker. I use 3 ml per quart. That is about .4 percent.
  7. n-green

n-green LawnSite Senior Member

Anything with Tryclopyr. When spot spraying I brush my foot across to get some under the leaves.
  8. Nate'sLawnCare

Nate'sLawnCare LawnSite Bronze Member

On our warm season grasses down here, the Celsius is working great on the clover. Don't try it on the fescue, though ;)
  9. Fubba

Fubba LawnSite Senior Member

Had a centipede yard overtaken with flowering clover. Weed free zone decimated it within two weeks with one thorough app.
    Posted via Mobile Device