1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Clover

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by DBALLARD, Mar 20, 2000.

1. DBALLARD

DBALLARD LawnSite Member

Whats the best way to get rid of clovers?

2. Lazer

Lazer LawnSite Bronze Member

Confront.

3. MWHC

MWHC LawnSite Member
    from Wyoming

Find a herbicide with the A.I. (Active ingredient) Tryclopyr or Isoclopyr or both.

4. Evan528

Evan528 LawnSite Silver Member

lazer, how is confront working for you? im looking to switch brands of herbicides and considering confront. any turf burning problems?

5. 1stclasslawns

1stclasslawns LawnSite Senior Member

Clover is a legume and legumes make their own nitrogen, too much nitrogen in the soil and it cant live.. so ... fertilize!<br>The answers above are correct but if you dont want to use herbicides heres you another one.

6. ChrisYanik

ChrisYanik LawnSite Member
    from OHIO

2,4-D????????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

7. Lazer

Lazer LawnSite Bronze Member

Evan,<br>We use Momentum as our regular herbicide. Confront with a strong % of 2,4-D. Seems to give us the best of all worlds. Singzed a little turf spot spraying 2 years ago, but not bad. We'll be using again this season.<p>Chris,<br>I've found 2,4-D far less effective on clover than it is on other weeds.

8. GroundKprs

GroundKprs LawnSite Bronze Member

Lots of choices. Depends on the grass you're treating and the other weeds you need to control with the application.<br>- Just 2,4-D will generally require 2 appl within 2 wks for complete clover control, but does many other weeds.<br>- If it's just clover, Confront is best choice; have a cust so allergic to bees, she always carries bee kit. But since she loves to work in yard, we use Confront. She really doesn't care too much about other weeds.<br>- Lesco Momentum, Riverdale Millenium or Cool Power will give good broad spectrum control, clover and most other weeds.<br>- Even new Drive 75 is labelled for clover.<p>----------<br>Jim<br>North central Indiana

9. White clover is controlled by the application of diacamba.

10. MWHC

MWHC LawnSite Member
    from Wyoming

I usually blend the 2-4D and the Tryclopyr. The 2-4d has real poor results with clover. Dicamba will kill clover also but it has soil mobility. If there are trees or bushes in close proximity, I wouldn't use dicamba.