clover..........

Discussion in 'Organic Lawn Care' started by treegal1, Dec 17, 2008.

1. treegal1

treegal1 LawnSite Gold Member

Great for erosion mixes and adding nitrogen to your soil, fixing approximately 200 lb/acre. Very dense growth, providing great weed competition, and reseeds well. Tolerates a broad range of soil conditions, mowing and continues to grow as long as it has water. Fragrant flowers are purplish-pink and progressively bloom for a long period of time, more than any other clover. Flower attracts bees and beneficials. Low-growing, up to 2' tall. Makes a great forage crop. Can take temperatures down to 15°F and needs only a minimum of 8"-10" of rain per year. Seed at 6-10 lb/acre, 1/4-1 lb/1000 sq ft

2. muddstopper

muddstopper LawnSite Silver Member

Tree,
    Durana clover is the only clover I know of that claims anywhere close to 200lbs of N per year and I believe they only claim 180lbsN. Still, even those numbers need to be taken with a grain of salt. While legumes do have the ability to fixate N from the air, the published rates are for ideal growing conditions. In less than ideal growing conditions that legume might not fixate even 50% of the published numbers. In poor growing conditions, and especially if the clover in harvested for a crop, you might not even fixate 25% of the N the clover needs to grow, and if harvested, actually see a decline in N levels in the soil.

I love clover in my roadside seeding. Fast germination, spreads fast, controls erosion, excellent nurse crop, and the permanate grass can use all the N the clover can supply. Hard to see any downside to using clover, unless of course its in somebodies lawn, then everybody wants to b%t$h

3. DUSTYCEDAR

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

IT also will not do well in high traffic i have found in some cases
    i planted white clover

4. NattyLawn

NattyLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a few customers that love clover. If it didn't bring bees to sting them or their kids it would be seeded more, especially on organic lawns.

5. Marcos

Marcos LawnSite Gold Member

All types of clover are edible, too! :)

http://www.bio.brandeis.edu/fieldbio/Edible_plants/RedClover/RedClover.html

Clovers in general are healthy to eat in any way, basically: in salad, as a cooked green, ground to flour, or blended with another tea.

Clover is high in protein! The most common things to eat on the Clover are the flowerheads and the leaves, but are easier to eat if soaked for about an hour or boiled.

6. stimpy

stimpy LawnSite Member

Muddstopper can turfgrass get the nitrogen from the clover. Its stored in the clovers nodule ?

7. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

I just ordered a bunch for a cover crop in an orchard I manage.

8. GaGolfSup

GaGolfSup LawnSite Member

Anybody ever use it in their garden? I have been thinking about seeding my garden with it and planting in between it come springtime. Will it compete too much with the crops?

9. DUSTYCEDAR

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

IT WILL BE THERE FOR EVER
    do you till each season? if so watch out
    i like the idea but it could get out of hand
    let us know if it works for ya

10. GaGolfSup

GaGolfSup LawnSite Member

I'm experimenting with no till. I think what I will try is some clover in the tomato beds...I can plant plants that are taller than the clover so as to not compete for sunlight...Who knows? I'm always thinking, but it seems I change my mind constantly...