Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by llama, May 10, 2003.

1. llama

llama LawnSite Member

What is the best way to rid a yard of clover. It seems to be taking over the lawns in my area.
  2. TheGrassGuy

TheGrassGuy LawnSite Member

Mecoprop is normally what is used around here to control clover, but is usually mixed with 2-4D and dicamba. I have a lot of people asking me to seed some clover into their lawns because chinch bugs don't feed on clover.
  3. Gene $immons

Gene $immons LawnSite Bronze Member

Try a product called "Confront" - Lesco sells a brand called "momentum" that also works well on clover.
  4. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Virtually any weed and feed will get rid of clover fast. Are you sure it's clover and not oxalis? Oxalis is difficult to remove with weed and feeds.
  5. KenH

KenH LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

Spray is most effective onthe small clover leaves. Granulars are useless.
  6. Millennium is another one that will knock down the clover.

I think its Trimec Plus that will too.

Strike 3 also has dicamba and mecoprop and will knock out the clover.
  7. rkk95

rkk95 LawnSite Member
    from west PA

grass guy it seems kind of odd to me that someone would seed clover in their lawn to protect from chinch bugs, why don't you treat with insecticide?
  8. TheGrassGuy

TheGrassGuy LawnSite Member

Most are treated with insecticide - those who ask for the clover do not want the insecticide. Different reasons for this - kids, shallow wells, pets, etc. It does not "protect" the lawn but the clover is still green when the chinch bugs are finished with the bluegrass.
  9. Hamons

Hamons LawnSite Senior Member

I've had great luck this year with Speedzone killing the clover in my yards.
  10. Chris Wagner

Chris Wagner LawnSite Senior Member

Clover is almost always green... not good for a very high maintenance turf, but it's less unsightly than some of the other weeds.

When cut, clover supposedly carries quite a bit of nitrogen when it breaks down.