Clover

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by KTNC, Jul 14, 2003.

1. KTNC

KTNC LawnSite Member

My lawn has an abundance of clover every year at this time, is there any way to eliminate this? Will spraying work?

2. lawndreamer

lawndreamer LawnSite Member

yup

3. Scraper

Scraper LawnSite Bronze Member

Try the Homeowner forum or better yet, search. This most basic question has been answered more than once.

4. greenman

greenman LawnSite Addict

If your lawn has an abundance of clover, it may be an indication of low nitrogen levels. What is your fert schedule, or do you?

5. mtdman

mtdman LawnSite Gold Member

Get a horse. I understand they dig the clover.

:D

6. Rustic Goat

Rustic Goat LawnSite Bronze Member

Proper fertilization and cutting a 'taller' than you may be used to, may take a season to really be effective, but it's certainly worked for me. Near passive weed control.

7. Phishook

Phishook LawnSite Bronze Member

I agree with the Goat. Try raising the cutting height.

The clover likes the sun, so a thick lawn will slow it's growth and germination.

8. yardmonkey

yardmonkey LawnSite Senior Member

Clover (and other clover-like leguminous weeds) indicate low nitrogen in the soil. (The clover is trying to correct this). I have not seen this work, but have read that just increasing the nitrogen level, by fertilizing, should get rid of the clover. I would think that higher mowing height, as suggested above, would be helpful also.

As one who takes care of lawns for a living, I often have to have the mindset that clover is a weed and we need to eliminate it. But it is interesting to consider that not only did people not used to care if there was clover in their lawn, but they actually used to plant it with seed. I think even into the 1960's clover seed was included in lawn seed mixes! For some interesting discussion of that, see: The Lawn - A History of An American Obsession - by Virginia Scott Jenkins - published by the Smithsonian. Amazon link - http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1560984066/

9. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

For this homeowner, you are not going to be able to go to home depo, or anywhere like this, and get some kind of "weed b gone", and take care of this clover. Find a good reputable company, (preferably a smaller on that knows what they are doing), and let them handle it. They should use Confront on it this time of year.

10. Chris Wagner

Chris Wagner LawnSite Senior Member

Actually, I beg to differ that one can't find a product at their local garden center to get rid of clover.

If we need something quick, we pick up Ortho's liquid concentrate for clover, chickweed, and creeping charlie. We dilute it with water in a 2 gallon sprayer (for spot jobs).

I agree that regular herbicide products won't work well. Forget about the granular stuff for clover. But this works really well. Just make sure to get the clover pretty good... almost to run off.