Club Car for Spraying?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by peteloare, Jun 13, 2001.

1. peteloare

peteloare LawnSite Member

What does everybody think about using a golf cart for spraying/Fertilizing? Electric or gas? Give me your input please!!!!

2. Mr.Ziffel

Mr.Ziffel LawnSite Senior Member

I've used two Jacobsen golf course maintenance carts around my farm for the past few years with good luck. These are have heavy steel diamond plate bodies with dump beds and a 4 cycle gasoline engine with accelorator start. Basically they're golf carts set up for maintenance--I bought them used from a guy who wholesales them for golf courses.

These work great on turf areas and in groomed pastures. I just hook the sprayer to the battery [sprayer sits in bed of cart] and hit my fencelines, etc. I do not have a boom setup but it could easily be done. For more rugged ground I prefer my Kawasaki Mule but these have been servicable and are cheap to buy and maintain. Good luck, Will M>

3. greens1

greens1 LawnSite Senior Member

Use a Cushman rather than a golf cart. It has a adjustable costant throttle, techomiter, and can carry much more weight than a golf cart. remember 8.3 pounds per gallon. All of the above features are necessary for proper sprayer calabration.

Jim L

4. XOFMOT

XOFMOT LawnSite Member

If you decide to go with a GAS engine on a CLUB CAR stay away from the pre-1991 models....I worked for CLUB CAR for many years...They have a 8 HP B&S flathead engine that is prone for crankshaft breakage...Go with a 1992 to present they have a 9 or optional 11 HP kawasaki OHV engine that has been working wonderful since their inception into the CLUB CAR golf carts. CLUB CAR is the LIGHTEST golf car on the market. If I remember they weigh aprox 485 lbs dry. They hold 7 gallons of gas. The only drawback to CLUB CAR is the durability of their aluminum frames....they dont give like the other brands out there...they crack instead of bend...Good Luck!

5. peteloare

peteloare LawnSite Member

What about the electric? Have one on the line (1996 club car,48 volts,they will put on a dump box,has a top with winshield,seems to be mint condition for 1875.00?

6. XOFMOT

XOFMOT LawnSite Member

Do you know how old the batteries are? If not check the top posts, the dates are stamped on top. Here's how to read them. A date code of lets say A5 stands for JANUARY 1995 or a code of D9 would stand for APRIL 1999....Life expectancy of these 8 volt batteries seems to run about 5 years. If they are TROJAN batteries, look out for the 1995 vintage, they had soft battery posts that tend to break off when you tighten down the battery cables. Also GAS/ELECTRIC..check the rear Diff. bottom cover..some came with a guard and some not...the one without the guard have a very good chance of the housing being cracked, so check for severe wetness of gear oil around housing. Also if it is a 1995 model 48v, this was the first year CLUB CAR made these 48 volt cars....lots of problems, If I were you stay away from that year. any other questions or comments please feel free to PM me or E-mail me. Thanks

7. John DiMartino

John DiMartino LawnSite Silver Member

I use a club car carryall 2 for spreading fertilzer.I have my 12V spreader mounted to the front,I can carry 20 bags of fertiler easy.It has a 1200 lb payload(operator included).The regular cart will work well too,it has only an 800 lb totla payload(including operator)