Clueless about chemicals

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Jeds_Lawn_Care, Feb 20, 2007.

1. Jeds_Lawn_Care

Jeds_Lawn_Care LawnSite Senior Member

I am 15 yrs. old and therefore cannot get licensced in the state of Arkansas to apply chemicals to yards. :(:cry: I want to know how I could become more educated on chemical applications, how they work, and all that jazz.

Is there a web-site I could go to or a book I could buy that anyone could reccomend? How could I become more educated on this stuff?:confused:

Could someone give me a guide to Herbicides/Pesticides?

2. Victor

Victor LawnSite Bronze Member

I think you're already at a good place to learn about those things. By just doing a search in the "Pesticide Forum," you can learn a lot about this field. If you follow the daily posts in here, you'll also pick up a lot of good information. I realize that at first you might not know what topics to do a search for, but it won't take you long to catch on. To get started, I'd recommend just reading through posts in this forum. That will help you decide what topics to do a search on.

3. tremor

tremor LawnSite Bronze Member

Good for you Jed. Crawl - walk - then run.

If getting a job for a local Lawn chemical operator (LCO) isn't an option, you might look to the professional educators.

Are you still in school?

4. Jeds_Lawn_Care

Yes, I am still in school, but I am home-schooled, so I have alot more time to deal with my biz. I learn more about how the real world works just dealing with business and people than I ever could learn in a book/class-room.

5. Jeds_Lawn_Care

Thanks for the replys guys! Nice n' quick.

6. tremor

tremor LawnSite Bronze Member

Jed,

If you were in the public school system I would recommend speaking with you guidance councilor. How's about calling a local vocational agriculture (Vo-Ag) school?

I just noticed that you're 15. Your neurological system isn't fully developed yet so handling pesticides wouldn't be good even if it was legal.

Try the Vo-Ag route. You can take your time getting "book smarts" & you'll make some valuable contacts. Once you turn 18 you'll be well on your way to a successful & legal business launch.

Steve

7. LawnTamer

LawnTamer LawnSite Gold Member

Contact your state Dept of Agriculture. In most cases the books you'll need to study to become licensed are free. They will set you up. Reading and understanding those books will give you a very good foundation. You'll learn how to diagnose and treat many problems, you'll also learn about IPM (integrated pest management) and safe practices.

8. Jeds_Lawn_Care

Thanks guys. I'll look into contacting my local Dept. of Agriculture.

9. barefootlawnsandlandscape

barefootlawnsandlandscape LawnSite Senior Member

Jed,

Call the State Plant Board in Little Rock. Their number is 501-225-1598. Ask for Darryl Little, if he is not available ask for someone in the Commercial Pest Control Section. They should send you the study materials for no charge. If you have any problems I will send you the ones that I have left over, just PM me if you need them.

Read Turfgrass Management. I think either Houston Couch or James Beard wrote it. Any books by those two men would greatly enhance your understanding of why we do what we do. The study materials will not explain the all the whys and hows like these do. Just make sure the books you get are the basics or you might get frustrated.

Also contact Rodney Fisher at Agra-Turf, if he is not available ask for Sharon. They are a great company there in your hometown that distributes fertilizer, pesticide, and insecticide to most of the mid-south. I would imagine that they might have some literature on hand from about any manufacturer.

I might have a great contact for a summer job for you up there at Searcy Country Club. That would also help your knowledge out tremendously. I don't know what he is looking for right now, but a eager, curious, young buck is always needed. PM me if you are interested.