Clueless dealer

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by cutnedge, Oct 21, 2004.

1. cutnedge

cutnedge LawnSite Member

While looking for new ztr's a couple of years ago I knew of adealer nearby that sells JD equipment. Actually, this dealer is huge in the ATV market. Anyhow, this area is swamped with ExMark and JD, so to walk in and buy a proven ztr at that time was pretty much limited to the two. Well, when I went to the dealership I couldn't help but notice the "yellow" one. I checked out the Hustler mini z thoroughly and could not believe how well it was built.I especially liked the simple but effective foot operation of the deck. No breaking parts there. After studying every piece of literature he had on the Hustlers upon returning home, my mind was made up. Super z 52,24 Honda.
    The following day I was there to purchase it and was told it may take "months" to get in--and it was not worth the extra money anyway because all I was paying for was the extra MPH. Told me nothing about the suspension seat(of which I bought later-500+) or pump cooler. So ,all in all. I've ended up paying about the same amount of a model with less MPH. Don't get me wrong--I love this mower. Matter of fact, two friends of mine have switched over to Hustler after trying this thing out.

Parts? Options?(catchers, blowout kits,blades) Forget it. You wouldn't even know these things existed without research. Hell, they even told me the only blades that were available were the ones that came with it.

I don't know. It just gets red-assin' knowing there are other parts or options out there that could help me customize this mower to the way I want it--and the only info I can get seems to be through this site(Thank's guys)

Compared to other major brands marketing strategies and upgrades availability to existing equipment, I personally feel Hustler is lacking. It's a shame for such a great product. No offense PJ.--maybe just a geographical thing.
  2. jasonlong

jasonlong LawnSite Member

I had the same problem in the Opelika AL / Columbus GA area. Our dealer is geared mainly for Ag Tractors and doesn't impress you with his knowledge of mowers. I bought my 2nd Hustler before we relocated to this area and was dumbfounded when he explained to me his parts policy (or better yet lack of parts policy). He told me that the best way to keep my gear operating was to buy Kubota mowers which he pushed heavily on anyone who walks in to look.

The final straw with me was..I wanted another Hustler. The dealer had 2 fastraks and a SuperZ that actually had oil splattered all over it from where someone didn't tighten the filter enough. I was torn between another Mini and the SuperZ. He tells me he had a Super Mini demo at his house he used to cut his own grass and would bring it in to demo. He would also clean up the only SuperZ on the yard and I could run them side by side. Long story short...a week later and neither mower is available to run. However, I could demo a ZG54 if I wanted. I wind up leaving and buying an Exmark.

The new Exmark cuts good but, it is no Hustler. If we ever get a new dealer in the immediate area I will be their first customer.
  3. cgotro

cgotro LawnSite Member

in leaps and bounds, it's hard to keep up with growth that Hustler is experiencing.

A clueless dealer is not their fault. We opened our shop in April a power equipment dealer about 30 min. from us had Hustler in there warehouse for years (They're the distributor). NONE on the floor they only wanted to sell you Scag! Well we opened and moved 65 Hustler units since April 1st and guess who has Hustler on it's floor now! That's what happens when you wear blinders! The two other equipment dealers in our area had there chance to get Hustler and Scag but passed (JD, grasshopper and Exmark dealers) well we put a real hurting on the Exmark dealer this season. The JD place is more into Tractors and rental.

As far as implements if you want something for your Hustler we'll get it! We found a local shop who custom makes shade canopies for any Hustler ($299.99 retail) Galv. Alum construction and a fabric with a 5-yr warranty! They also make ZTR covers to keep your Hustler out of the weather $149.99.