clueless on how to charge for edging

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Mummert's Mowing, Sep 29, 2006.

1. Mummert's Mowing

Mummert's Mowing LawnSite Member

How do you charge for edging? Is it by the foot, the yard, your time or what!:confused:

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

All you have to sell is time-- so yes it is time, but you need to figure out how may feet you can do in a amount of time, Edgeing on a weekly basis is just part of the package. New overgrown edge or 1st time job I will check to see if it requires more work, which means more time, which means more money
  3. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

That about sums it up. There really IS no magic formula. (Hypothetically), if tere was, it would involve not only linear ft., but also amout of sod being cut off to e removed = this would involve not only the width, but the thickness of the sod, as well. The, while we're at it, some curbs may involve a whole quanity of gravel and debris, including vegetation in the gutter, but what's more than that, is the silt that is collected in the gutter of these jobs. If you do them like we do, it is a filthy job that CAN be painstakingly labor intensive. So yes,...the main an best idea is to charge by the hour.
  4. TNT LawnCare Inc.

TNT LawnCare Inc. LawnSite Bronze Member

Residential edging is part of the package for us as well. You would be suprisied at how many outfits here in M.D. don't edge at all,this is one reason i keep 99.99% of all my resindential costumers and get 25% of the other guys who dont'. Sell yourself and do good work once you put a good edge down all you'll have to do is run the trimmer down it and your done. Commercials accounts get charged per hour because of the amount of sidewalk and curbs that are involved hope this helps.:waving: :usflag:
  5. fiveoboy01

fiveoboy01 LawnSite Silver Member

I agree to you to a point.

What if you're talking a corner lot, 40 feet in each direction, and it's overgrown badly?

So you do it once yes, then clean up the sod, and all you have to do is run an edger up and down the walk every other week.

Sometimes, I do include it with my mowing agreement, sometimes not. Depends on how much time it will take for the initial edge.

But, if you have to do this numerous times per year(where it is really bad), how much money are you leaving on the table?
  6. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

If the edge is really that bad then I will discuss that with my customer and tell him/her that it will charge X amount for the initial edge to be cut and is enclusive with my mowing price after that. All it takes for me is one look at the area to be edged and I will shoot a price at the customer while keeping in mind that I will be profiting from them possibly for a few years. Dont rip them off for it but dont screw yourself either.
  7. TNT LawnCare Inc.

TNT LawnCare Inc. LawnSite Bronze Member

I here what your saying fiveoboy , but remember this if your going to be making say 4-5 hundred or even more off this customer per season and then say have them for possibly 4-5 years or more that free edging job to me is worth it in the long run. Most people who pay for lawncare service has had there lawn edged one time or another ask yourself how many overgrown sidewalks do you really encounter. For us this year maybe 3 or 4. These where all knew customers and now at the end of this season their already going with us next year cause other LCO'S wouldnt edge or charged to much.