clump madness

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Galt'sGardener, Apr 17, 2003.

1. Galt'sGardener

Galt'sGardener LawnSite Member

help!! I've been mowing for about three years now and am still going nuts every spring with the clumps in the grass, especially with the drizzly days like today in pennsylvania. I don't use a bagging system and am wondering if anyone has any tricks they use to combat this problem. I feel like i've tried everything short of raking the lawns and there is no way that's happening!:dizzy:

2. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

What type of equipment are you running?

3. Galt'sGardener

Galt'sGardener LawnSite Member

sorry, forgot that bit. Running exmark lazer 61" and HP 44". Have tried the gators on them both, and still getting the same results

4. mag360

mag360 LawnSite Silver Member

have you tried double high lifts?

I have had bad results side discharging with gators, they are for mulching only (in my opinion)

5. Navig8r

Navig8r LawnSite Senior Member

Are you getting a lot of buildup on the decks?

I was experiencing a lot of buildup on my HP when I first got it, and it led to clumping after only a couple hours after cleaning the deck. I was getting frustrated, :angry: then I applied Mo-Deck...... No more problems..... Occaisionally I re-apply it now......... build-up is minimal.

6. General Grounds

General Grounds LawnSite Senior Member

:blob3: theres the problem, gators cut the grass so small it clumps when wet. we use them only in the summer and the fall, during high growth seasons we use high lifts. go back to the blades the machine came with. tony

7. baddboygeorge

baddboygeorge LawnSite Bronze Member

double cut an stay off when wet!!

8. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

I don't use LAZERS and I doubt the above advice is the only solution.

but it certainly seems the most reasonable!

GEO

9. baddboygeorge

baddboygeorge LawnSite Bronze Member

i run all scag equipment so i dont have clump problems an besides 20 years in the trade you know when an what conditions you can mow in to turn out quality work . i have seen lots of guys out cutting on wet days an if thats the kind of quality work they enjoy doing , keep doing it cause it wont be long an i'll be mowing it !!

10. LawnMower

LawnMower LawnSite Senior Member

When I cut grass in the wet I constantly get clumps. Sometimes the clumps are higher then the mowerÂ…well not really, but to me there totally high. Now that I have a ZTR I raise the deck a notch or two, and run back over the clumps and clobber them. Sometimes I have to run back over them 3 times on a thick lawn. I used to take my backpack blower and walk along as I swung the outlet back and forth. That worked pretty well. I think most of the clumps come from the grass gathering at the rear of the deck outlet, and then falling off. I took my shoot off, so that helped