clumping question

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by nfarr, Aug 28, 2005.

1. nfarr

nfarr LawnSite Member

Recently, I purchased a fastrak, 20/52. with the mulch kit. I seem to have a problem with clumping when slowing down to make turns. Even with very dry conditions cutting less than 1-2" off the blades of grass, it seems to drop clumps at every turn or when coming to a stop. I am running the blades that came with it from the factory along with the mulch kit. The mower has about 20 hours on it now.

2. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

You should not be experiencing clumping in those situations.
    As new as your unit is, I would advise your dealer immediately.
    He is going to need to check your belt tension, engine RPM's, blades and deck pitch.
    Any of the above could cause a problem.

Pj

3. DLS1

DLS1 LawnSite Bronze Member

I have the same problem with a 37" Hustler walk behind I purchased beginning of mowing season and setup for mulching. Also one hydro has a little fluid leaking from the base since the week I bought it.

So will Hustler cover it under warranty about the clumping grass if the dealer says they can't find any problem?

4. HB Lawn

HB Lawn LawnSite Member

I have the same problem. I just changed the oil and put new sharp blades on yesterday (8/28/05). Today (8/29/05), the first yard I go to cut, here comes the clumps. I am also getting a path of uncut blades of grass laying in the path that I just cut. I have a Fastrac 44" 18/hp that I bought last October and it has been doing this for about the last month. I thought it was from bad blades, but I guess not, now that I changed them. Any thoughts? :dizzy: :dizzy:

5. mowerconsultant

Male, from Syracuse, NY

If there is a problem with your unit, we will get it straightened out.

Pj

6. mowerconsultant

Male, from Syracuse, NY

What has changed in regards to the grass in the last month? longer? more moisture?
    Also, your dealer (or you) needs to check your belt tension, engine RPM's and possibly your deck pitch.
    Your dealer can get this straightened out for you.

Pj

7. HB Lawn

HB Lawn LawnSite Member

I have been having this problem for the last two or three months, but I didn't realize it was a problem untill last week. Back around May/June my fastrac had to go into the shop to have the wheel bearings replaced, under warranty. My other machine was a wb and it was too slow to cover the days untill I got back the fastrac. So I traded the wb in for an Exmark and was using the Exmark as the main machine and the fastrac as a backup. Well with the rain that we had down here in Cen FLA, the grass was growing very fast and with everyone doing one cut per week, the grass was very tall in most of my lawns. So I would use the fastrac to knock down the grass and my helper would use the other machine for the finishing part. This is when I noticed the clumping of the grass and thought nothing of it because the grass was so high. Well as of last week the grass sorta stop growing and I wanted to try the fastrac out and see what I got. The clumping was still there and maybe a little worst.

8. DSIM

DSIM LawnSite Senior Member

your always going to have clumping while mulching. Where is the grass supposed to go when the discharge chute is blocked? The reason it drops in clumps around corners is because you finally give the built up grass a place to drop. This is common among mulchers. One thing that helps is a flap (stripe kit) on the back of the deck or rear wheels that will drag the clumps of grass and smooth them out.

9. nfarr

nfarr LawnSite Member

I will have the dealer check it out. I spoke with Huster customer service about it and they recommended running with the gator blades, however, I think I read that they cause excessive clumping in semi wet conditions??

10. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

Sounds like you got a lot of grass build up under the deck. That would cause it to clump.