Clumping with gators?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by dvmcmrhp52, Sep 25, 2003.

1. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

We have been running a lazer hp 23 52" with high lifts and oem mulchers and a lazer 23 60" with high lifts and gators.
    With the heavy dew we are all dealing with around here the lazer with the high lifts and gators is clumping while the lazer hp with the high lifts and oem mulchers is not.
    Usually the lazer does much better in the heavy wet stuff than the lazer hp because of the deck.(less clumping)
    The question is are the gator blades causing this? Or should I look elswhere? Engine rpm etc.

2. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

Check the rpm's and also try double high lifts. i'm having good luck with meg-mo on my lazer, it will only throw small puff balls In heavy due.
    John

3. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

How long have you been running the meg-mo's?
    Sounds like they are working well for you.
    We ran double high lifts on the hp and didn't like the loss of horsepower, so I can only guess it would be worse on the lazer.(same motor,bigger deck,heavier machine) That's why we haven't bothered putting them on the lazer.

4. Lawnalternatives

Lawnalternatives LawnSite Member

Did you lose any power? I just got my Meg-Mo's today and haven't tried them on my HP yet. Very anxious though.

5. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

As gar as the Gators creating clumps when cutting grass, this is what I've been saying for years. Bottom line is, while gaotors chop up the grass some upon discharge, they just are NOT that great of a blade for cutting grass. They work great for leaves, but are really impracticle for turf. Some guys use them and swera about how good they are, and like I said, they do chop up the grass some on discharge, but create more of a mess in many (most conditions. Also, this is at best, only when they are used as doubles. They CERTAINLY aren't good by themselves for cutting grass because there just isn't enough lift. They leave too many stringers compared to lifting blades. I've always said; Highlifts and mulchers for thick grass, and Highlifts or Gators with Gators for leaves. Bottom line is... save the Gators for fall.

6. John Gamba

from ct

You will lose some power but you are throwing the grass a lot farther. I did a lawn with heavy dew and like the finale results. even with the double high lifts it would of clumped bigger.
    John

7. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I do have to agree with you to a certain point Runner about the gators being not a cutting blade. We usually throw them on early spring for spring clean up and then take them off the end of May, and then put them back on the end of September for leaves.

We never run with them throughout the summer months. They just don't cut great and leave a mess

8. Lawnalternatives

Lawnalternatives LawnSite Member

I mowed a heavy dewed lawn this morning. It looked real good. Do you have any excess scalping? The blades being so loose makes me think they could be prone to scalp a little when zero-turning.

9. John Gamba

from ct

Not at all.
    John