Clumpy discharge in dry grass???

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bjcottin, May 31, 2011.

Tags:
  1. bjcottin

bjcottin LawnSite Member

So I have an 60" exmark Lazer z... It's one of my older mowers and it just doesnt throw the grass right no matter what i try. I cleaned the deck of it every morning with a putty knife and try not to use this mower in the morning dew. It was 92 degrees here today and the grass was still clumpling up. It not the kind u get when ur cutting in the pouring rain. It's more like lots of little clumps that get left over until next weeks cut rather then decomposing. I cut half of one of my accounts today with it when it was completely dry and then used my newer exmark for the other half.. There was a huge noticeable difference. My new one had hardly any discharge on the same yard. Both were set to the same height and had clean decks.... new highlift blades on each mower as well. Any ideas fellas? Ive yet to try power washing it but I think scraping it should work just fine

2. THEGOLDPRO

THEGOLDPRO LawnSite Fanatic

what deck does it have on it?

3. Tofutti

Tofutti LawnSite Member

We have the same problem with our Toro (same as Xmark, basically) 60" "TurboForce" deck ZTR. This thing will clump even in dry grass if we're cutting tall stuff... Keeping the 26HP engine at max RPM (=slowing down while cutting thick/wet stuff) still clumps worse than the old (circa-1996-ish Xmarx 48-inch WB) and even the new 52" Toro (still "Turbo-Force") 20HP WB. We keep blades sharp, and decks clean underneath. No change in result.
    Just wondering though, since we've always gone with "OEM" replacement blades, what exactly are the "high lift" blades? Like, what are they officially called? And I assume they just have a high back so they create more vacuum and obviously more air pushing the discharge...This help would be greatly appreciated.

4. Tofutti

Tofutti LawnSite Member

Disregard my last question about high-lift blades.... Merely a couple of minutes on google figured that one out... However, how big of a difference do those make in reality, with regard to the OP's question as well? Would Gator-blades help at all with a 60' deck?

5. trippy

trippy LawnSite Member

pretty easy fix. had this problem 5 years ago my dealer removed a baffle per toros directions

6. Tofutti

Tofutti LawnSite Member

Which baffle ( or part of the baffle) might that be? I'm quite mechanically inclined and would be able to perform this task.

7. THEGOLDPRO

THEGOLDPRO LawnSite Fanatic

i removed ALL of the baffles on my triton deck and its an amazing machine now.

8. sjessen

sjessen LawnSite Silver Member
    Male, from Knoxville, Tn

Have you checked the pitch of the deck?

9. Snapper Jack

Snapper Jack LawnSite Senior Member

I would stay away from using the Gator Blades if you're experiencing clumping issues. You can't beat the Hi Lift blades when it comes to disbursal of the clippings,but the chute opening does come into play here also.

10. sjessen

sjessen LawnSite Silver Member
    Male, from Knoxville, Tn

Another thing that might help with discharge on the ultra cut deck is to enlarge the discharge opening. An Exmark rep said we could go another 3" on a 60" deck. I opened mine up about 2". It does help, up to a point. If the grass is thick or wet it will still clump. But on normal height grass in good conditions the discharge has improved.