Clunking noise 30" stand-on aerator

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by americanlawn, Oct 15, 2013.

1. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

Toro/Exmark 30' stand-on aerator. About 7 or 8 times per day I hear a 'clunking noise' coming from underneath. It seems to be coming from the tines or the hydraulic cylinder area. It's a "metal to metal noise". It started from day one. Some sort of steel is hitting another steel part. It goes away once I back up or something. 28 hours on the unit. Please help.

2. jsslawncare

jsslawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

Is it under warranty?

3. R & R Yard Designs

R & R Yard Designs LawnSite Senior Member

Its the drive chains. Check them for tightness
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. Golden Boy

Golden Boy LawnSite Member

It could be the drive chains or it could be the tines shifting from side to side and hitting the frame. There should be lock collars to keep the from shifting.
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. ReddensLawnCare

ReddensLawnCare LawnSite Bronze Member

Check the pressure regulator. If is probably the same sound when you try to turn. Soft areas need less pressure hard needs more. The machine is straining, that's why you hear that
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. FdLLawnMan

FdLLawnMan LawnSite Bronze Member

It is either the drive chains jumping or one if the bearing pillow blocks is loose. I run the chains tighter than recommended and it works fine. If the chains jump over the sprocket that is very bad.
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. americanlawn

from midwest

Thanks all. I will check all the above. I also thank RABBITMAN -- he has several year's of first-hand experience with these stand-ons. I told him I have yet to grease any parts or lube the chain. (this will be done daily from now on) He also mentioned a spray/foam chain lube from NAPA. I will try a can of that, but I did some searching & ordered a couple spray cans of Klotz KLR-611 chain lube (it's made in Fort Wayne, IN).

8. jc1

jc1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Keeping the chain lubed greatly reduces what your experiencing and make sure tines are up before turning more than 45 degrees

9. americanlawn

from midwest

We thoroughly sprayed all chains the past 2 mornings before aerating. No more clunking noise. I used Fluid Film, but I just received cans of Klotz chain lube. I plan to check chain tensions, etc and change to 5W-30 full synthetic motor oil this weekend. thanks

10. Service 1st Lawn Care

Service 1st Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

Owners manual says to lube chains before every use, we use Champion chain lube. It is a foam chain lube water resistant and stays on the chains.:)