Clunking when engaging blades

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by scott korczynski, Sep 13, 2000.

1. scott korczynski

scott korczynski LawnSite Member

I have a 1yr old (not even actually)Toro 44'' floating deck walk-behind with a 12.5 kaw. Since new this machine gives a nice big clunk when engaging the blades. It seems to be comming from the right side spindle area. It doesn't do this after I hose the machine off and engage the blades. Is this normal? Or is something out of adjustment/broken? Any suggestions? Thanx, Scott

2. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

It sounds like the belt is grabbing very hard. Ask Stone, he's the Toro man around here.

3. Getmow

Getmow LawnSite Senior Member
    from VA

Sounds like the normal engaging sound if you have the throttle wide open. Try it at half throttle, it'll still make noise but not as bad.

4. little green guy

little green guy LawnSite Senior Member

The inside of the deck might be bent and gets hit by the blade. There's a couple of things it could be but i don't know if you checked to see if the blade is hitting.

5. Five Star Lawn Care LLC

Five Star Lawn Care LLC LawnSite Bronze Member

one of my lescos had the same problem, mine was just a loose idler pully on the deck the deck.

6. landscaper3

landscaper3 LawnSite Bronze Member

Our Toro Pro-Lines do the same its normal

7. BUSHMASTER

BUSHMASTER LawnSite Senior Member

There should be three nuts holding the plate up on the clutch,above that are springs check your owners man out,
    there is a "air gap" setting for the clutch check this,while your under there check to see if the bolt holding the clutch to the engine has backed off and bent.been there done that.just something else to look at.one more thing to look at, the strip of metal hold the cover of the clucth fits in a slot check how worn it is and the tightness of this bolt.

8. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Another thing you may want to consider to save wear, is if you are engaging in thick or deep grass, engage with your deck up, then lower it after your rpm's are up.