clutch adj. on TTHP

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by weedwoop, Oct 26, 2002.

1. weedwoop

weedwoop LawnSite Member

I have had a TTHP W/B for about 3 years now and have bottomed out the clutch adjuster even with a new belt. I even cut about an inch off the adj. rod, which worked for awhile. Could the rod have stretched, being that it has a few bends in it, and would a new adj.rod solve my problem? Thanks, Reg.

2. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Hey Reg.,

If any of the linkage is bent, that could make it difficult to correctly adjust the tension to the PTO Clutching Belt. I can tell you that it certainly won't hurt to replace the rod; however, it's hard to tell without seeing the unit.

Here's what I would do. First, check to make sure that you have the correct belt. Make sure that it is an Exmark Belt. If you try to go with anything else, you may create a few headaches for yourself. One of the harder belts to find an adequate aftermarket replacement for is the PTO Clutching belt.

Next, get a new rod to replace the old one that you bent and modified. While you're waiting for the rod to arrive, I would check both the clutching arm under the deck and the bellcrank, located on the top of the engine deck, to make sure they are not hanging up. I would also tighten up the blade engagement lever to make sure you don't have a lot of side-to-side slop in it. This can cause alignment issues as well.

Whatever you do, make sure that you are getting the proper tension to that belt. Improper tension can cause premature belt wear and a slower blade tip speed. Try these things that I suggested and report back if you are still having problems. If you have any other questions, feel free to e-mail me at dustin.schwab@exmark.com.

Here to help,

Dustin
    Exmark Customer Support