Clutch already?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by sweetz, Apr 9, 2008.

1. sweetz

sweetz LawnSite Bronze Member

O.K., this is B.S. My new 36" Mini-Z only has 22.8 hours on it & I believe that the clutch for turning the blades on & off is already gone!!! I was going to turn the blades on to mow one of my accounts and "click.....click.....click...." that's all I could get the PTO button to do!!!!!!!!!!

Needles to say, I was pi**ed!

I have a full day of mowing to do do tomorrow & Friday. I'll be at my dealer BEFORE they open tomorrow to make sure that I'm first in line! How long does it take to change out a clutch? Why did this go so fast? Do you think it was just a faulty part from the beginning????

:confused:

2. jaybird24

jaybird24 LawnSite Senior Member
    from midwest

Could be a fuse or other electrical problem. Does the clutch actually make a clicking sound? Some manufacturers are going to non adjustable clutches, but I'm sure that one will need it once a year. Since it's under warranty let them deal with it, but I highly doubt it is shot.

3. sweetz

It was working just fine on the last yard I mowed not even 15 minutes before. It clicks (the clutch under the engine) when I engage it & also when I disengage it. It barely turns when engaged, it still puts a load on the engine like it is trying to work, it moves, but barely! I had a buddy of mine watch while I engaged it & he said he actually saw sparks come from it when I engaged it (I repeatedly engaged & disengaged it for him to watch & see it it was something stupid that I was doing!) This thing isn't that old at all!!!

4. jaybird24

from midwest

Sounds like it needs to be adjusted, maybe the dealer didn't burnish it before he gave it to you. Your manual should say how to adjust it, but maybe let them look at it then they can show you how, it's easy. The only time I've seen sparks was when a bearing went on one, but they probably would if in need of adjustment also. Is there maybe oil on it or grease? there is really not a whole lot to go wrong on these things so thats all I can come up with for now.

5. jaybird24

from midwest

Could the clutch be functioning properly, but the belt slipping, or too much slack?

6. sweetz

I clean the thing (Wash and wax) it every other week. So, no on the oil or grease. It wouldn't shock me if they didn't do something (Northeast Mowers on Haines Rd in St. Petersburg), they didn't adjust the tracking, the tires were around 45 - 50 PSI (HUSTLER says a MAX of 8 - 10 PSI) in ALL of the tires, etc, etc, etc. I really don't like the people or the service there, but they're the only HUSTLER dealer anywhere near me. :(

7. jaybird24

from midwest

Well take it in in the morning, they should drop whatever they are doing to take care of you. From what I understand hustler is good with their customer service. Even if they need to change it out it shouldn't take more than 1/2 hr. I hope it works out for you.

8. sweetz

I hope so too, thanks jay

9. ProStreetCamaro

ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member

It needs to be adjusted. Its a pain to get it just right so it will take a couple minutes.

10. Frue

Frue LawnSite Bronze Member

they probabbly will not have the clutch in stock knowing dealers. Good luck my friend and let us know.