Clutch bearings ... ?

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by lawnmaniac883, Aug 15, 2006.

1. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

Seeing how I dont have much if any free time on my hands right now I was wondering if one of you knew whether I can remove the clutch on my gravely 44z to oil / grease the bearings on it or if ya have to replace the entire assy? Sucker is starting to make some squeaking noise back there so I figure I should oil it up if possible. Appreciate any input. :usflag:

2. ChadsLawn

ChadsLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

I dont think you can do anything with the bearing. You'll have to get a new pto for it.

3. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Do you have the adjustable clutch ? (not likely) ?

4. Jim@MilkyWay

Jim@MilkyWay LawnSite Senior Member

I can tell you how to lube a sealed bearing.

Do you know how to de-gas adhesives for use in space ship/satellite applications? (Otherwise you risk having them ( the adhesive, NOT the whole space ship ) explode when in a good vacuum. _Not_ acceptable as a rule.)

Do you own a vacuum pump and chamber?

Shoot, darn, heck.

The little lady needs the 'pooter for a while, and it is 'bout time for the sand man.Later....
    Jim@MilkyWay

5. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

Yes it is an adjustable clutch...adjusted it at 250 hours actually.

6. Kartracer55

Kartracer55 LawnSite Member
    from NJ

Can you go into this a bit further?

Im interested and I have a few metal shielded "sealed" bearings that Id like to be able to repack instead of having to replace 3 of them @ aroudn 50$ a piece.

Thanks

Jim

7. Restrorob

You can replace the bearings in this style clutch if they are done before they start overheating or lock up and burn the clutch up.

8. Jim@MilkyWay

Well, Yea...
    If you are serious I will elaborate.
    You don't have to try it if it doesn't make sense or don't seem worth it to you, but I have kept some idler bearings going and going and going and..., when I should have replaced them instead. And you talk about breathing _A LOT OF_ new life into low speed, ie wheel bearings, well, this will do it.

...Well, CR@PP!!!

I had a _LENGTHY_, TECHNICAL procedure written up, it took me like 45 min. to write, and when I went to post it, I had, of course been timed out and logged off. I logged back on, tried to "back" up, and got, don't ask me why, the first sentence or two as shown above. I don't think the whole thing will show up automagically when I post this either.
    If you moderators out there can retrieve it for me, then PLEASE do so, like _RIGHT NOW_ thank you very much.

9. Jim@MilkyWay

Continued...
    Or maybe some one can tell me where else it might have gone, and if I can retrieve it?

10. Restrorob

This won't help now Jim, But I have had the same thing happen. :cry:

If I see I'm going to have a long post I will type it out in notepad or word-pad then copy and paste it on here, I've even composed in a email then pasted it here. That way it will not get lost and you can save it for future reference.