Clutch bent

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by garyt, May 1, 2006.

1. garyt

garyt LawnSite Member

I have a Crapsman 25hp Kohler Pro with about 250 hours on it. The problem is that the Clutch is majorily bent at an angle and I'm not sure if it's the crank shaft or not. Here is the story of how it happened...

The mower just died which it never does. I started it up a couple of times and as soon as I engaged the blades it would die again. Finally it started and engaged fine. I continued mowing for about 2 minutes when the engine started racing and then vibrated really bad and I shut it off. I then noticed the clutch. When I say the clutch it is the entire clutch assembly and not just the pulley itself.

It has oil and has been running great. There was no smoke or engine noise. Do you think the motor is shot? If so what would be your recommendation from here on? The mower is in very good shape as I have used it only on my own yard and I think it was purchased around 98.

2. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

First thing I would do is remove the clutch,You may find a bearing came apart in the clutch making it look like the crank is bent, Myself have never seen a belt drive unit bend a crank. If the clutch is good then remove both spark plug wires then crank it over watching the crankshaft. If it is bent then I would remove the engine and do a tear-down inspection and if everything is found to be ok and within specs. I would install a new crankshaft.

3. garyt

garyt LawnSite Member

Thanks for the info. Can someone please explain how the clutch comes off? The bolt and the clutch are turning together.

Thanks

4. Restrorob

The easiest way is with a impact wrench. If you don't have one put the box end of a wrench on the bolt and smack it with a hammer, In most cases this will break it loose. You could also remove the grass screen from the flywheel and hold the flywheel bolt but it could break loose before the clutch bolt. You could also remove a spark plug and rotate the piston to top dead center compression stroke then back it down about a half inch and feed about a foot of # 4 1/2 recoil rope in the plug hole leaving enough hanging out for removal then rotate the piston back up to pin the crank from moving.

5. garyt

garyt LawnSite Member

If I get it off with an Impact wrench can a new one be reinstalled with an impact wrench too or is there a trick?

6. Restrorob

Sure, Just slide the new clutch on and tighten with a impact, But don't over do it and break the bolt off in the crankshaft.

7. Tech man

Tech man LawnSite Member

When you get the bolt out with the impact, the clutch should slide off with some moderate force. The new one will slide on nice if the crank shaft isnt all rusted up and such.