Clutch - Can it affect the quality of cut?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Lawn-Scapes, Oct 5, 2002.

1. Lawn-Scapes

Lawn-Scapes LawnSite Silver Member

I believe my clutch is on its way out. On two ocassions this week it did not engage immediately and I heard it make a grinding/scraping noise for a second or two before it grabbed. But what I was wondering is if the clutch is going bad could it be slipping while cutting? Or once it does grab.. it doesn't slip?

My lazer is cutting like crap!!

2. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

Electric clutches are supposed to be adjusted. Look at your owners manual. You usually have to use a feeler gauge and adjust the thred lock nuts on the housing. The clearances are pretty close.
    My other question is this, Are you running doubles. Some set ups create lots of vibration and I have lost a couple clutches because of this. You may have to retighten the mounting nut from your clutch to the motor.
    You will know when it fails.

Good Luck
  3. KLMlawn

KLMlawn LawnSite Senior Member

Honestly I have never have a clutch go ... yet.
    I don't think that if it does engage, that it would slip ... it would engage or not engage.
    If you are concerned about it, then just get it replaced. Especially with leaf season nearly upon us, you will definately need to have reliability to alieviate any headaches.
  4. Lawn-Scapes

Lawn-Scapes LawnSite Silver Member

I will check for adjustments tomorrow. I don't run doubles but I did try doubles yesterday for the very first time to see if I could get a better cut. Honestly.. I don't see what all the hype is about. Cut quality was the same and I still had to double cut.

I was really hoping it was the explanation for the poor cut. I'm so sick of checking my blades and deck... and scratching my head wondering WTF is going on! I believe a different mower is in my future.

BRIAN GALLO LawnSite Senior Member

What kind of mower is this?

BRIAN GALLO LawnSite Senior Member

Whoops, I'm dumb. I see in your first post you said Lazer. How are the engine rpm's? Are you running at 3600 or so?
  7. lawnworker

lawnworker LawnSite Senior Member

Tsg, I am not sure about your question. I do know a little about truck clutches; they can slip slightly and one hardly will notice driving down the road. Lazers are supposed to cut really good, so something is not right. I like the manual clutches the best, they can be slipped over dusty areas to slow the blades down.
  8. AltaLawnCare

AltaLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

What about the idler puley on the deck?

I tried doubles on mine, and experienced the same thing, the 23 didn't have enough power, ans still stragglers.

I have a problem of stragglers in weedy this what you're having?

I'm up to 3750 RPMs, and swapping out blades every 5 hours.
    Notched foils and excalibers are the same deal. Clippings and clumping aren't a problem.
  9. AltaLawnCare

AltaLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

I'also cutting as low as 2.5".
  10. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

No, your (our) clutches cannot be adjusted. There is no adjustment on the newer Warner clutches (within last 5 years, or so.) If you are getting a bad cut or it is leaving that much uncut grass, check your bely adjustment. It would have to be from there, as the clutch does not slip once it's engaged. It's either on, or it's off. Also, if you are pulling your PTO knob and getting a hissing noise, that's a sign that it's on it's way out. You can lower your rpm's, and usually it will kick right back on. Whatever you do, do NOT allow it to sit there and hiss. If it doesn't kick in, immediately shut it back off. Now, if it still doesn't kick in with lower rpms, and you've pulled the knob a few times, (it will do this when it gets real hot) then you can disengage them, shut the mower off, and turn the blades just a bit by hand, and then it will kick right in when you re-engage them. What a friend of mine did, was remove the left spindle pulley cover, and all of his machines, and whe and if the deck doesn't kick in, the operators just hit the pulley with their foot and turn it just a bit, then it kicks right in. I wouldn't go running right out and buying a new clutch right yet though, because mine was doing this this time last year, and I still got another full season out of it, and it's still only about the same as it was last year. I'm going to get as much life out of this as I can! Anyway, like I said, it sounds more like a belt issue than a clutch issue on the cutting. Check your mule drive. ;)