Clutch going out in Turf Tiger?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by eggy, Apr 15, 2001.

1. eggy

eggy LawnSite Senior Member

I have been having problems as I engage the blades, the blades do not engage it takes many attempts some times, and on the first attempt on occasion they will engage, do you think the clutch is going out?

2. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

It sounds like it could also be low voltage. Causes could be dirty connections, bad ground, even check the fuse connections. It could just be the clutch too, but check these things first.

3. eggy

Hey Eric thats what my dealer fixed on it thursday according to him it was not getting a full feed from the battery, when i do engage the clutch I get a humming noise, and also I seem to have this trouble more on rough ground so maybe it is in the connection somewhere...

4. Eric ELM

This is one thing I've never replaced on my ZTR's, is the clutch. Those hand clutches just keep on going. :D

5. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

It may not be the clutch. My Scag Super Z has had that problem and all I did was replace the toggle switch.....$13.00 from the dealer.

6. eggy

Hey Homer, they thought about the switch to but it checked out ok, I noticed come metal shavings around the housing and also notice a spark when it trys to engage.

7. Eric ELM

I would get a $13 switch and try it, if it don't help, you will at least have a back up switch.

8. Jr.

Jr. LawnSite Member

I had the same problem with my laser Z. I bought a new switch but unfortunely, it was indeed the clutch. The dealer told me the problem came from turning off the blades while they were still turning at a high rate of speed. Now I idle the mower down and give the blades time to slow down before turning them off and have had no more problems.

9. Fine Lines Lawn

Fine Lines Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

Ahhhhh!
    The Lazer is gone and I have nothing left but belt driven blade engagement. What a relief!

10. eggy

Well guys I am takng it into the shop first thing this morning. I will let you know what they find.