1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Clutch going out?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Keith, Aug 13, 2001.

1. Keith

Keith LawnSite Gold Member

My 2 year old Kees recently had started having a problem when engaging the electric clutch. (Keep in mind this is just like an Exmark, so you guys can help me ;) ) Sometimes it doesn't come on right away it clicks, but may take a couple tries to get it turned on. Sometimes there is just a delay. When my Grasshopper clutch went, it just quit. This is acting differently.

Is the clutch failing? Is there an adjustment that needs to be made? Is the switch bad? Any help would be appreciated.
  2. fivestarlawnken

fivestarlawnken LawnSite Senior Member

i dont know if this helps, exmark was having problems with clutches going out on the lazer z.it was usually related to heat build up(i guess).where i work thats what we were told by our mechanics who contacted our local exmark dealer. another suggestion from exmark was engage the blades at a lower rpm then bring it up...good luck:confused:
  3. EJK2352

EJK2352 LawnSite Bronze Member

Your unit has a Warner Mag Stop clutch. These units have 2 brake shoes that stop the clutch when it is disengaged. These shoes wear and cause a larger air gap in the clutch, resulting in a clutch that will not engage especially when unit gets hot. Warner doesn't sell replacement brake shoes for these clutches. This makes these clutches a throw away item, since they sell no replacement parts. I have a friend who makes replacement shoes
    for the Mag Stop. Replacing the shoes will fix the problem. If you e-mail me I'll give you his phone number, otherwise you will have to buy a new clutch. :) ;) :) ED
  4. Keith

Keith LawnSite Gold Member

Thanks guys. How hard are the shoes to install? I may not have time to wait though, this clutch my go down anytime :eek: